Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cube247

home99
Grafter

cube247

Hi folks,

Anyone had any dealings with cube247? Looking for a new pc; originally looking at mesh but too many forums quoting bad customer service.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Regards

Dave
15 REPLIES
N/A

cube247

Ever fancied building your own? Its much more satisfying and much less cost. There are lots of online tutorials if you’ve never built a pc before.

Its only electrical lego :lol:
home99
Grafter

cube247

I am very very tempted - but I dont feel particularly confident should I need to do a bit of troubleshooting.
N/A

cube247

Hi, this is one of many tutorials online. Have a read and see what you think. If you plan it carefully, take your time and do your research you should have no problems

http://sysbuild.corsairmemory.com/report.aspx?id=2.

btw, whats your budget and what will you be using the pc for?
N/A

cube247

building your own pc is a lot of fun and not as hard as most ppl think it is. all you need to do is make sure you get a motherboard and a cpu that support each other (not hard to figure out)

ram is pritty basic
hard disks are like any will do
psu same
cd/dvd drives all up to you
case up to you
home99
Grafter

cube247

I have a budget of approx £900 and I intend to purchase/build a system that will be able to deal with the latest games as well as the normal photo/video manipulation. Obviously I intend to use it for the basics, ie email/web browsing too.

Good 19inch monitor (8ms response), 250gb hard drive, athlon x2 3800, 1 gb memory, dvd writer + seperate dvd rom, nvidia 6800 or ATI x800 (not sure what flavour), keyboard mouse speakers.

I know I can build one for that amount but i must admit there is a bit of trepidation.

Great link by the way.
N/A

cube247

Nice one £900 should definitely get you what you’re after. I notice you’re already half way there as you have a good knowledge of the hardware you require for such a system.

The spec you have come up with looks good, only thing i would suggest is to get 2gb of RAM instead of 1gb, if budget allows of course. Monitor - Samsung or Viewsonic make nice displays, try and get one with DVI, it does make a difference over analogue. Hard drives - i tend to use Western Digital or Samsung, the Samsung being that little bit quieter. NEC make nice dvd writers, try and avoid Sony, from my experience they tend to be noisy drives.

Graphics - there are some really good deals on PCI-e X800's and 6800's rite now, 6800GS looking a good deal.

Case - personal preference really. Power supply - DO NOT SKIMP on the psu, a big mistake some people make. A quality psu with decent wattage and strong rails will give your system good stability especially if you’re gaming or doing some picture/video editing. Hiper/Enermax/Akasa/Antec all make very good psu's.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/
http://www.scan.co.uk/

I suggest you take a look at some of these e-tailors and gather some prices, i will say though Overclockers have the best deals on graphics cards generally.

Get a spec together and post it back here with the prices.
home99
Grafter

cube247

Thanks paco2k5 - off i go Tongue
home99
Grafter

cube247

Well i finally took the plunge and decided to build my own. This is what I have purchased (arriving tommorrow):

1 x Asus A8N-E SKT 939 NFORCE 4 AUDIO LAN PCI-Express ATX 95458

1 x Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Midi Tower - With 450W SmartPower2.0 PSU

2 x Corsair (VS1GB400C3) 1024MB, DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, 184 DIMM, unbuffered, CL3, 64Mx8 DRAMs, Lifetime Warranty

1 x AMD Athlon 64 (ADA4200BVBOX) X2 4200+ socket 939 Dual Core 2.2ghz 512kb and 512kb Cache

1x Western Digital WD2500JD 250GB 7200RPM SATA/150 8MB Cache - OEM

1 x NEC ND3550A 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal IDE (Black) - OEM

1 x Samsung SyncMaster 4ms DVI !!! 930BF 19" 700:1 4ms DVI "MagicBright, MagicTune, MagicColor" (1280x1024) TFT Monitor in Black 3 Years Warranty 97258

1 x MSI 6800GS 256MB GDDR3 TV + DVI PCI-E

1 x Microsoft Wireless Black Optical Desktop 1000 - USB

1 x Lite-On SOHD-16P9S 16x48x DVD-ROM Internal IDE (Black)

I already have firewire ,OP system and speakers and intend to buy a router, and a tv card at a later date.

Just one thing - I realise the drives are OEM, does that mean I need to purchase the leads that connect it to the motherboard or not?

Anyway the whole lot cost 1084 inc VAT and delivery. Dont think I could have got the above from a vendor for that - even If I could I am looking forward to building it.
N/A

cube247

you will need to get some standard PC screws and yes, you will need to get the SATA // IDE cables for the drives -- get rounded IDE cables to improve air circulation in the case.

the NEC drive yuou have is absolutly amazing, i know as i own one Cheesy

the rest of your set up looks great.
N/A

cube247

WOW nice system there, made some really good choices especially the TFT Cheesy

You will get all of your cables with the motherboard (sata / ide) and all of the screws you need should come with the case. The ide cables that come with the motherboard will be flat, as Buzzons said round ones will be better - but not important straight away.

So basically you have everything you need there to build straight away.

Remember to plan it well - always read the motherboard manual first to familiarize yourself with the layout - make yourself a nice drink - make plenty of space - most importantly don’t ever rush it.

In order i would: (everyone has their own way)

Fit psu into case
Screw brass motherboard risers into case (9 of them) and seat I/O shield
Fit cpu / ram into motherboard
Fit heatsink
Fit dvd's / hard disks
Mount motherboard into case
Plug in power / reset / led cables
Seat graphics card
Plug in all power connectors - main and 4 pin / dvd / hd / graphics

Tripple check - power up and away you go.

If you get stuck with anything post back here or send a pm.

Good luck.
home99
Grafter

cube247

I appreciate all your help guys.

I will post back hopefully with good news.
home99
Grafter

cube247

Unbelievable - 8.30 this morning delivery van turns up and delivers all the items bar one.....the blinkin case.

So I have a load of components but no case to put them in.

The courier states they only received 4 boxes from Ebuyer, and ebuyer claim they dispatched all items on Friday. So its now a waiting game until Wed to see if this case turns up. Hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow.
N/A

cube247

Ahh man thats some bad luck, at least you could have started if you had the case lol Sad

Likley to be tomorrow now then.
home99
Grafter

cube247

Well my cherry is well and truly lost - system is now built and purring quietly in the corner. No problems so far.

A few hairy moments:

fitting the supplied AMD heatsink took some brute force, and I thought at one point I had fitted it incorrectly but once in place no problem.

incredible amount of power leads coming from the Antec PSU - not all used which leaves the thought "what have I missed" lingering in your head.

power switch lead was incorrectly seated so the intial power up erm didnt. Only took me a few minutes to figure that out though.

Overall I am extremely happy - a system built to my spec and the satisfaction of a self build.

Cheers guys for all your comments and advice