cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crashing

N/A

crashing

Its as software upgrades it uses more RAM, silly really as they should be making new software use less RAM heh. But then again you said you were using "msn, media player and ie6 spk1" and they are all Microsoft programs and thats what Microsoft seem to do, force folk to upgrade.

More memory should fix the issue although going back to an earlier version of MSN and using a different Media Player may also save on alot of RAM usage.

Smiley
10 REPLIES
N/A

crashing

ok, I'm having probs. I got an 850mhz athlon, 265mb ram, win98se, broadband (thankyou plusnet), just upgraded from my old 16bit graphics card to a geforce mx 4000, an old bog standard soundblaster (not even pro!) and I have 70gb hdd space on a 40gb drive and 30gb drive partitioned. I run msn, media player and ie6 spk1 at the same time and if I have more than 3 convos going at once on msn the system freezes on me. Is it just that I'm asking my PC to do too much or is there something I can do to make it run more effectively. I treat my PC to regular defrags, and clean ups and once every three months back up all the things I want to disc and reformatt. Should I just pull my finger out and up grade my system?
N/A

crashing

I would upgrade a little if I were you, but I dont think 3 windows should honestly crash your system, have you tried a little extra memory maybe, or it could be the current memory has developed a fault
Community Veteran

crashing

I have a machine of similar spec which I use all the time no problem.

it has slightly more RAM but only 64MB more and it has a much slower processor (pentium III 500mhz)

Have you tried checking for spyware? Also are all your drivers up to date? Have you tried with the old graphics card to see if that's the problem?
N/A

crashing

well knew I'd forgotten something, and off I go to run spybot, silly me!!!!!!!!
Community Veteran

crashing

lol
N/A

crashing

nope, spybot says clear, sent emergency email to my local computer shop for more sdram, system says it's got only 24% free and I remember it doing the same thing when I only had 128mb if it got down to 24%.
N/A

crashing

try that www.ccleaner.com program that was recommended in my thread a bit down, did some good stuff for me!
N/A

crashing

thank you, 429.5mb cleaned, I been using the os disk clean up and it missed them somehow
N/A

crashing

system mechanic is a good one, brilliant for everything, bad reg entries, shortcuts etc, you should download a trial version, its time limited but FULLY functional
N/A

crashing

It might have taken me three and a half hours but I've finally got this computer running sweet as a nut; thank you all who've contributed Cheesy