cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy drive image to new drive

Brickinit
Grafter

i'm installing a new large harddrive to my machine and would like to copy all the data from the old to the new. what is the best way to go about this, are there any draw backs doing it this way. would i be better off installing XP and all the other programs and just copy data back into them?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Just go to your local PC store and buy a drive copy utility. Saves a lot of hassle and lost data. There are many packages that can do this.
Community Veteran

Idealy you need to use some software like "Drive Copy" or "Norton Ghost" which will produce an Exact copy of one drive on to another.

The problem you will encounter by just trying to copy is that windows is using some of the files itself and will fail part way through the copy.
Brickinit
Grafter

i have drive image and did a copy to my new hard drive but when i tried to run it as a boot drive i came it would not boot but came up as a few symbols and would go no further
Community Veteran

Not sure on this but I suspect that "Drive Image" will only work with FAT32 file system and you probably have your existing drive as NTFS which XP will use by default.

I think that Norton Ghost though will deal will both.
N/A

shame its a bit expensive, but john you are right, Norton Ghost is the best when it comes to these kind of things.
Brickinit
Grafter

you are right in thinking my drive is NTFS bit of a shame, i'll have to do it the old way unless i can find a copy of Ghost, must have a look to see if i have a sample copy somewhere first. thank you all for the input

malc
N/A

Acronis is now the better solution for drive copying. But if you goto www.janwright.co.uk/new.htm you can get a FREE copyier and partitioner that is very good, the price is right anyway
Brickinit
Grafter

just a little update have managed to copy my old hard drive to my new one using Drive Image V7.0, we had to do the updates from Drive Image ( nortons site) and the in the copy settings go for make os bootable, and alsocopy MBR files and it worked a dream. Drive Image was big bros. so a nice cheap solution in the end