cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection cut off

smokeyone
Grafter

connection cut off

Has anyone any clever ideas to improve the connection to Plusnet. I seem to be disconnected every so often after about a minutes or so. It was suggested to try new tele line splitters or avoid the splitter alltogether which would prove very difficult.
Another ISP I use is a 100 times worse than Plusnet for cutting off so I am wondering if it really is my end or is this something I just have to live with.

Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

connection cut off

Have you checked everthing on your wiring using the Wiring and Filters tutorial ?
Here
smokeyone
Grafter

ISP connection

Thanks John for the reply. I checked your link and unless I have my wires crossed - mine is not a broadband connection. I had one thought though, the line goes through a discount tele call white box - will that upset connections.

Starclipper
Rich
Grafter

connection cut off

Have you tried connecting direct to BT's master box - remove the front plate and plug the modem cable into the socket that will be revealed.
If this helps, then there may be a problem with your extension wiring or with the 'discount tele call white box'.
Also, what type of modem are you using? I used to use a cheap internal modem and had this type of problem. Changed to a decent external serial port modem and the connection reliabilty improved no end Smiley
smokeyone
Grafter

connection

I am using a Rockwell Plus, PC156 V90 modem. The internal modem came with the PC. Anyway I will give the direct connection to the BT box a try. As I also mentioned before, even though I still have the disconnection problem, the Plusnet rate is 100 times better than a certain other ISP.
N/A

Connection

Hi
I am having the same problem with the 0808 dialup. I was advised it could be a modem problem, so I installed a new unit, but still have the same problem at "peak times " of the day. Shockedops: Shocked
pcorker
Grafter

connection cut off

Over several years I found that the following made my dialup system much less likely to drop the connection:
1. Dropping soon after connecting: Insert a modem control string to force it to connect initially at a lower maximum speed. I use:
In IE's Internet Options/Connections/Settings.../Properties/Configure.../Connection/Advanced.../
+MS=V90,1,300,33600,300,44000 (Type the +)
Works for my el_cheapo V90 Rockwell chip modem. I think it stops it connecting at an unrealisticaly high speed from which it can't recover from fast enough.
2. Dropping generally: On the same page I move the Receive Buffer slider in "Port Settings..." to the penultimate (low) left "click"
This all seems to give better reliability at a slightly lowered speed.
And an MTU of 576 with a Small Packet Size (Heh heh!) in Adapter Properties
Pat.
N/A

connection cut off

Hey thanks for the info. Plusnet has been OK for the last couple of days, have not had the problem. I will make a note of the info, and if the problem returns I will give it a try. Shocked