cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting wirelessly to a wired home network

N/A

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to connect my laptop, Win 98, to my wired network, Win XP, using a wireless connection. Is it possible to use external adaptors? and if so, what?
9 REPLIES
N/A

You can buy either a PCMCIA or a USB wireless adaptor for the laptop and a Wireless Access Point with an ethernet port to connect to your wired hub.

You should check that your laptop has a PCMCIA socket (almost certain) and/or a USB port (older laptops may not have USB ports). The PCMCIA card is probably the most convenient to use.

You can buy Wireless Access Points with combined ethernet hubs and/or broadband connections for nearly the same price as a WAP only. So you may be able to replace your existing hub and/or broadband modem with a single device that does it all.

Personally I have the NetGear DG835G and WG511T card. www.dabs.co.uk are doing the WAP with free PCMCIA or USB adaptor for about £95 which is the same price as the WAP by itself. Make sure you chose the one with the free device!
N/A

Thanks for your advice - I really only wanted my laptop to be able to talk to my desktop and share its broadband internet connection. I already have a fairly new wired router so didn't want to go to the expense of buying another one. I think I'll take your advice and search around for a WAP and then pop a PCMCIA card into my laptop. Unless someone can come up with a cheaper option! Would 2 USB network adaptors, one in each machine, work in the way I want?
N/A

Can't you just get a PCMCIA Ethernet card to plug your laptop into your router? Or, do you want to be able to use the laptop all over the house?

You could buy two USB network (or wireless) adaptors to allow your laptop and desktop to communicate and then use "Internet Connection Sharing" to allow access to the broadband connection. However, this would require you desktop to be switched on it order for the laptop to access the internet.
N/A

What router do you have and how many ports does it have? If you have more than one port, you can connect a wireless access point direct to the router, rather than your PC. You'll also need a wireless card for your laptop.

Aaron
N/A

Quick Question

Is this process simplified if (A) the laptop has a PCMCIA slot and (B) the router for the main desktop computer is a D-Link DI-614+ wireless router,or is life a little more complicated than that?

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Sunhouse, the original post, make no mention of a wireless router, or any particular brand of router in fact. They asked for a method of connecting a laptop wirelessly, to a wired network.
N/A

They asked for a method of connecting a laptop wirelessly, to a wired network.

My apologies,so was I: just forgot to indicate that was the equipment I have.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Sunhouse, if you already have a wireless router, then you just need a wireless lan card, PCMCIA one will do the trick. Cheesy
N/A

Ok thanks gadgetboy

Ian & Linda Jordan