cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting PS2

N/A

connecting PS2

I am trying to go online with Burnout 3, but I am having a problem.
When I reach the "Accessing Network" part of going online the Playstation freezes and I can't do anything other than reset the machine.

I am connecting using ICS and when running the connection test from the Network Connection Disk supplied with the Network Adapter all is Green and I am able to connect online to "Cental Station" with no problems.

I have tried forwarding my ports as well as disabling the firewall but none of ths makes a difference.

I have a 512Kbps ADSL connection which connects to my PC via an internal ADSL modem.

I would be greatful for any help as I have bought the network adapter and long lenth of Cat 5 Crossover Cable especially to play Burntout 3 (I have no other online games).

Many Thanks in advance.
Liam Rabey.
9 REPLIES
N/A

connecting PS2

Ive looked more closely at this and I can see that if I disable XP firewall, Shields UP!! advises me that ports 21800-21810 and 13505 are in Stealth Mode.

These are the ports that Burnout 3 needs to access EA Servers. This would be why I can connect to Sony's ' Central Station' (Because the Sony ports are not in stealth mode) and why I can not connect Burnout.

Does anybody have any idea what is causing these ports to be in Stealth mode and how I can stop it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Community Veteran

connecting PS2

It depends on which end makes the initial connection attempt over those ports. If it's the PS2 that makes the connection to the server, then they will be outgoing connections so your firewall will not block them. If it's the game server that initiates the connection to your PS2 then your firewall needs to be configured to port forward those ports to your PS2 IP address.

However if the SP2 firewall is involved, it may be blocking the connection attempt in either direction so will beed to be configured. If your using some other software firewall, that may need to be configured to allow those ports as well.
N/A

connecting PS2

It's not an XBOX that I'm using, its a Playstation 2, I have all the ports forwarded that need to be, but the point I'm trying to make is that the ports are in stealth mode - even when I have no firewall running. So something else must be blocking these ports, and I can't figure out what?
Community Veteran

connecting PS2

My reply still applies for a PS2 (now corrected).

Are they forwarded to the correct IP address of the PS2? Also if there is no software actually running in the PS2 then the ports will not be open so there would be nothing to respond to the connection attempt tests so they will be classed as stealthed. A stealthed port means the test tried to open the specific port and nothing responded to the open request. A closed port means something did respond but declined to connection attempt, indicating there is something there, and open means the connection attempt was successful

Have you tried running the ports test with the PS2 game running and tryng to connect to the games server? It also still depends on which direction the ports are being opened. If the PS2 game is waiting for the server to initiate the connection then the ports test should not show stealthed. If it is the game that initiates the connection obver those ports then it would not be responding to the server making a connectuion attempt so the test would result in a stealthed port result.
N/A

connecting PS2

You need to add port forwarding rules to ICS in order for burnout 3 to work,as previously mentioned by Peter.

The ports are listed in the manual for Burnout 3, however I have the game at home, so if you've not found the ports I can post them later.

In addition the manual lists all the ports required for the game, both incoming (port forward) and outgoing.

Detail of how to add port fowarding rules within ICS are avaliable on the Sony PS2 website under networking assistance.

Aaron
N/A

connecting PS2

Thanks for your help guys, the relevent ports are forwarded to the IP address I have assinged the playstation, both incoming and outgoing, but the problems still occurs, even if I have my firewall disabled the problem occurs.

I don't understand why these ports come back status as stealth when practicly every other port is just showing the status as closed (when I have my firewall disabled) ? I thought stealth means the ports are firewalled?

I am unable to run the test while my PS2 connects as Shields Up will only do the test when you ask it (it wont monitor the ports over a period of time), and my playstaion just freezes which doesn't give me time to run tests.

Am I following you correctly or is there something I misunderstand?

PS It is the XP SP2 firewall I use - no other.
N/A

connecting PS2

I have managed to test the ports a my playstation is trying to connect to Burnout 3 network, I did this by repetedly click test ports in Shields UP while Playstation was trying to connect.

My port status changed from stealth to closed.

This test was done with XP SP2 firewall disabled - and no other firewall running.

What am I doing wrong, how can I get these ports to openHuh
N/A

connecting PS2

You not running any other firewall software are you? Did you have to port forward ports for central station?

Trying downloading Port Monster since this will show you traffic across all your ports.

If you not running a firewall, then the ports you need should be open by default. However the fact they are not showing as open within shields up, would explain why you cannot get on-line in burnout 3. Either ICS is not configured correctly or some software you have or your modem is blocking ports.
N/A

connecting PS2

Ok, thanks for all your help, I found a solution, don't know why it works but, I uninstalled Win XP SP2 and now playstation connects everytime.

Thanks again.