cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

computer won't start up

N/A

computer won't start up

Hi,
Can anyone help, or just confirm my suspicions?

I've just upgraded a pc for a friend and now, it won't even begin the boot sequence. I've checked all the connections and tested as many of the components as possible by running them in another computer. This pc has the following inside:-

PCChips M848ALU motherboard
AMD 2200+ processor
256Mb DDR PC 2700 RAM
(I know it doesn't sound a brilliant upgrade, but it's adequate for his purposes and besides, you should have seen the old one!!)

I know that the hard drive, RAM and graphics card are OK. ( I've tried them out in another computer)
The computer has power to the motherboard as the cooling fans start, the cd drive lights up and the hard drive spins up. However, the pc won't start up i.e. the monitor stays blank and shows the "no signal" message (I've also checked out the monitor by the way). It doesn't beep either, so I assume it's not going through it's self test sequence even.

I bought the components from EBuyer and suspect that the processor is a faulty one. Am I right or is there something obvious that I've got wrong?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

computer won't start up

What exactly did you change from the previous config?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS - find the link on the mobo to do this.

Remove everything (cables, graphics, memory, PCI cards) except the processor & heatsink to get the bare minimum system, and power on. Do you hear any beeps? If not either the mobo or processor (or both) are dead.

If you changed the processor, try the old one back in, again with the bare minimum hardware installed and see if it beeps on power-on. If not, it could be the mobo.
Rich
Grafter

computer won't start up

Also make sure that the Graphics card is fully seated.
N/A

computer won't start up

You can get this if the MB is shorting to the case. Remove the MB and put it on a nonconductive surface just add Video,memory and HD and see if it works. Double check before turning on that there is no chance of anything shorting.

If it works then you are shorting on the case
sloany
Grafter

computer won't start up

I have built a few PCs with the M848ALU motherboard from ebuyer, one of them refused to boot randomly at 3-4 month intervals until i reset the CMOS. Then it would be fine for 3-4 months. The second time this happened i RTM'd the motherboard with an intermittant fault as the description and was replaced without any questions, so maybe a few of these are a bit buggy. Or maybe you have got my return :lol:
All in all not a bad budget board tho.
Also doublecheck the CMOS jumper, had a few set to clear instead of normal.
sloany
Grafter

computer won't start up

Just had a phone call from the client with the PCchips mobo, its gone again! After 3 months. just as gareth80 says, no Self test, everything fires up and sits there. Gonna go around tomorrow and reset the CMOS. Knew i shouldnt have posted on here! LMAO! Any ideas anyone? This is the second mobo this client has had.
N/A

my Mobo fault

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who replied, the help was great. Sorry about the delay, but I've been away for a few days.

Yes, I tried clearing the CMOS but that didn't have any effect.

I've checked out the Mobo with a different processor, (one i knew was ok), and discovered that it was the mobo that was was faulty. Just as a precaution, I've contacted Ebuyer and in fairness they agreed to replace both the mobo and the processor without question.

Once again, thanks to all.

ps, how come people are still signing up to AOL, BT, Wannadoo etc. when 2Mb Broadband is only £14.99 from plusNet Huh
sloany
Grafter

computer won't start up

1. went to clients house tonite, the CMOS thing didnt work this time. reseated CPU and fired up fine. Dont understand it! ran fine for 3 months!

2. people are moving ISP's because of the port throttling Plusnet are doing, causing slow downloads on P2P.
N/A

computer won't start up

1. went to clients house tonite, the CMOS thing didnt work this time. reseated CPU and fired up fine. Dont understand it! ran fine for 3 months!

Maybe the HSF isn't fixed properly (or is damaged), so it's dislodging the CPU?
N/A

computer won't start up

Is the processor a sempron or athlon the 848alu may need a bios upgrage depending on the bios date beside with my experience of these boards they can be a bit querky at the best of times but I have one running fine after a sucessfull bios upgrade. Be really carefull doin it if you not sure I`ll make sure of the exact bios location urls and a detailed step by step guide if ya need it !