cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

computer won't shutdown - it reboots every time

N/A

Since having some trouble with my system disk sorted (losing the boot section, to be precise) my computer has steadfastly refused to shut down in the normal way - in fact it won't shutdown at all unless I pull the plug on it (at the appropriate moment).

I am running Win XP with all updates installed. I am not running Roxio, which is reported to cause this problem. I have turned off the automatic startup after system failure. Both the PC technician who attended to my machine, and I are at a loss now as to how to sort the problem. Any ideas anyone?
15 REPLIES
N/A

I had a similar problem, check your advanced power management in windows
( control panel/power options).

Also check the power management settings in the bios.

These are the things I was informed to check, but didn't make any difference.

I traced my problem to port-powered USB kit - a bluetooth dongle & a generic usb hub. I do have an old motherboard (K7s5a), so I bought a USB 2.0 internal pci card, re-arranged the USB stuff - hey presto - problem fixed, and I've now got 5 more usb ports for about a tenner.

You can safely hold the power button in when Windows says it is shutting down ( i.e. after it has saved the open files) , after 2 or 3 seconds the PC will power off - annoying I know, but it save you reaching for the mains plug)

Jeff
N/A

This has probably been checked, but enter BIOS setup and ensure WOL (wake on LAN) and wake on modem or ring are both disabled.
N/A

Thanks for the helpful suggestions - unfortunately none of them has resolved the problem, so I guess it is the kill-button for the monster in future.
N/A

Have you tried re -installing windows if you have
your original windows cd, run it.
It will pick up your existing installation and choose
the repair option will keep your current settings.
Alec
N/A

This only happened after WinXP was re-installed by the techie guy, but I may try it just to see. Not much else to do on a wet afternoon.

Thanks for the input.
N/A

I have had this strange problem in the past. \i got around it by disabling all power options both on the MB and in windows. disable wake up on lan in windows and mb. Use it for a few day then enable things slowly. This did cure it.

take a lokk at

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326841&Product=winxp

it may help
N/A

This only happened after WinXP was re-installed

Ensure chipset drivers been installed since.
N/A

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions - I have tried all of them, but still I have to use the kill button. Perhaps if I ignore it the problem will disappear!
N/A

It may be worth running a fix on the master boot record of your hard disk, especially since the problem seems to have arisen after a fux on the disk

If you have Windows XP, you can boot from the XP CD-ROM, choose repair option during setup, and run Recovery Console. When you are logged on, you can run FIXMBR command to fix MBR.
N/A

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I am quite knowledgeable enough to do this. I re-installed WinXP yesterday and then had all the security updates, etc. to re-download, which becomes a bit tiresome.
N/A

Just to keep you all posted - I have solved the problem of the ever-booting PC. Went into the BIOS and disabled something called "PME event Wake-up", and then the next time I tried switching off it actually stayed off. First time I have ever been glad to see a black screen.

Thanks all.
N/A

Glad to see you sorted it, although it was mention earlier to disable all power mangement events.
Anyway, below comments are now just for future info.

If the problem lies in the MBR of your hard disk, you can keep reinstalling XP until you are blue in the face, and the problem will not be fixed. That is, unless you do an FDISK and full format before installing XP.

Doing a FIXMBR does nothing to the data on your disk, so you will not need to reinstall anything. However, a rider. If the MBR is particularly corrupt, a fix could stop the PC from booting from that disk.

Info on FIXMBR can be found here
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/pr...
N/A

So that's what PME stands for! Shockedops: Not very good with acronyms. Have no idea why it was enabled in the first place.

Thanks for the additional information.