cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

computer switches off

N/A

computer switches off

can anyone help. every time i run any P2Psoftware such as limewire, bittornado, emule and azureus after about ten minutes of downloading my computer switches off and restarts.
i have checked for viruses and spireware but all clear.
i am running xp home with SP2, zonealarm security suit.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

computer switches off

Take the cover off and do the same. If you don;t get the problem then it is likely to be heat related.

- Make sure all fans are running; CPU, case, PSU etc.
- Check all fans are clean and your CPU heatsink is clear of dust. Use a hoover and dry paintbrush.
- Ensure there is adequate ventilation all around the case and don't put it in a cabinate.
N/A

computer switches off

P2P software is very well known to be very memory intensive the more downloads you are using the more memory will be used. And it uses a hell of a lot.

I am not sure exactly what amount of memory is recommended but you could either not have enough or have a slightly dodgy dimm.

After doing as Peter said above, if you dont notice any obvious clog ups etc which can cause overheating visit:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Give that a whirl which should test for any problems with your memory.

Good luck Wink
N/A

computer switches off

Check your event log do you get Event ID 4226?

If you are running a lot of P2P you will exceed the tcip limit get the fix from www.janwright.co.uk/new.htm

As the other member said its most likely heat doing it as P2P can send the cpu to 100%
N/A

computer switches off

P2P only uses a lot of memory if you have too little memory! It resorts to the pagefile, hence loads of disk access etc. So it is more likely to be a dodgy DIMM. A lot of people NEVER look at the event viewer! Ignore it at your peril. Easily accessed from start/run/eventvwr

I have 1gb of ram and azureus is using virtually nothing. However i have only one d/load not killing the bandwidth but it never does anyway. I have not used the patch for tcp either but having said that I have a fairly recent new install. Time may change that!