Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

computer crashes when I put in a blank cd

Patch
Grafter

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest where i might start looking for the cause of this problem.

On a few occasions now my computer running windows XP crashes when I put a blank disk into the cd-r drive. The crash is complete as if someone has just pressed the restart button on the computer. When it restarts I get the option of submitting the error message to microsoft, who tell me that this might be a driver problem.

Does this sound likely, or does it sound more like the cd-drive is failing?

To add to the confusion. Once the cd is in the drive, and the computer is turned on I can burn a disc without any problems.

I appreciate it is very hard to diagnose the exact cause, especially when it does not happen every time, but if someone could suggest a diagnostic path I can take to try and identify the problem that would be great.

Solving this will stop me wincing every time I put a blank disc in the machine, which might stop other people in the office looking at me funny! Cheesy

Cheers

Patch
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Checked a little further.
If you open explorer than right click on the CD drive and select properties. Select autoplay then blank CD and change it to "take no action"
N/A

There are 2 quick things I would try

1. (may cause blue screen with the cause of problem) .. remove the tick from restart on error .. >>>> go to START >> Right click MY COMPUTER >> PROPERTIES >> ADVANCED >> Startup and recovery SETTINGS >> under system failure remove tick from automatically restat on errors ...

2. System Restore ..
N/A

What software are you using. Normaly with this error the software is trying to find the disk and getting an error or the software is corrupt. Try removing the software and install again but before you re install see if it crashes.
Patch
Grafter

Thanks for the tips, I'll try some of these and see if I get an progress.

The software I am using is Instant CD/DVD SE 8.3.0.8 which came with the computer.

I have got both a CD-RW and DVD-RW drive installed. Up until last night I thought the problem was just with the CD-RW drive, but last night the machine crashed when I put a disk in the DVD-RW.

I'm interested you are all suggesting it is a software issue. My first thoughts were power supply!

I'll post more when I find more.

Patch
N/A

the addition of 3rd party dvd / cd recording software does cause a lot of problems on many OEM systems with preinstalled software
N/A

most preinstalled cd/dvd writing software is rubbish. I instantly ridded my dell laptop of this trash and installed nero 6. No problems at all there! You can get a very cheap oem copy of this - albeit you have to abide by licenses! I bought a dvd writer at the same time to abide by it. I already had a retail nero installed on my main pc so that sorted the laptop out! :lol: