cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cd-rw runs very slow...

kayessjay
Dabbler

cd-rw runs very slow...

Last week my hard drive died, and I now have a new one fitted. Problem is now my CD-RW drive seems to be very slow indeed. It's a Benq CRW5224W, and I have a HP Vectra 633 Celeron, 20 Gb HDD. I used to have Nero Express installed which was fine, but now have EasyCD creator. Yesterday I tried to burn some files onto CD as a back up, and one folder of around 500 MB took over four hours to burn. I also installed Office 2000 from CD and this took nearly an hour to do. Any ideas would be appreciated...
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

cd-rw runs very slow...

Was the master/slave links on the new drive set correctly before you installed it - check any manual or ref document or on the drive itself on how to set them for single (only drive on the cable) or multi-drive (CD or aniother drive on the same cable) operation?

Is the CDRW on the same cable as the new drive and ist it's drive liks set for slave operation. Don't assume it is check it.

What other drives do you have fitted. Say what you have on the primary and secondary IDE channels and if they are configured as master or slave - Best to check all the drives anyway.

If you have nothing on the secondary controller, try moving the CDRW to it and change the drive selection to be master.

Cheers

Peter Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

cd-rw runs very slow...

sounds like you didnt set the CDRW's burning speed in the software engine or you used CD's that are maximum 4 speed burn
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

cd-rw runs very slow...

If is taking forever to install from a cd you either have a ide cable instead of a udma cable. your settings are wron in windows and its running in p mode not dma. You bios is set wrong and its using p mode not dma or as other have said your setting for the master slave etc are wrong.

You dont say which o/s you are using but running in pmode drop transfer rates dramaticly.

You need to see were the problem is when you install from cd is the cpu at 100% or is it a drive problem? I would get rid of easey cd and put nero back on as there has allways been issues with it
kayessjay
Dabbler

cd-rw runs very slow...

Right, I'm a bit of a newbie to this stuff but as far as I can tell I have one hard drive and one cd-rw which use separate cables. Not sure about master/slave settings or what is primary secondary or whatever. In Device Manager Properties for the cd-rw the dma box is ticked. I'm using good cd-r s same batch as worked perfectly before, and with EasyCD set to 'optimal' write speed. Using EasyCDs test tool gave results -
Audio Extraction
16x (2881KB/sec)

Data Transfer
small files 3x (586KB/sec)
large files 11x (1684 KB/sec)
read speed 13x (2052 KB/sec)

Anything obvious I should do?
Community Veteran

cd-rw runs very slow...

What windows version are you running?
kayessjay
Dabbler

cd-rw runs very slow...

oops, forgot to say. Windows 98 SE.
kayessjay
Dabbler

cd-rw runs very slow...

OK, I've figured out how to check the BIOS settings, and they were showing the Primary Master set to Auto, and the Primary Slave, Secondary Master and Secondary Slave all set to None. Is this wrong? The hard drive and CD Rom are connected using separate cables.
N/A

cd-rw runs very slow...

Set all drives in the BIOS to auto. It may take a few seconds longer to boot, but the CDRW should then be recognised as a WORM type drive.
May help, may not, but worth the try.
I would also look at what write speeds Easy CD will allow you to select. The "Optimal" setting could only mean '2 times' if Easy CD has not recognised your drive correctly. Try the latest device definition files from Roxio's site, your CDRW may not even be listed as a device and a default setting is being used. I will admit I've never heard of the Benq make.

Office 2000 does take a long time to install.... not an hour, but a long time.
Community Veteran

cd-rw runs very slow...

Hmm, try setting them all to auto and see if it makes a difference. Windows has still detected them but it may make a difference if the BIOS also knows about them.

Who changed your hard disk? If it was returned for repair or done by a shop they could have change the BIOS settings.

Also with the Roxio s/w run the drive tests before writing. Create a Data CD, when the app window appears chose tools -> system tests and test data and audio transfers.
kayessjay
Dabbler

cd-rw runs very slow...

Maybe I'm being really thick, but I can't seem to change the BIOS settings to Auto... The Primary Master says (200020MB) and the rest all say 'None'. When I enter each one I can change it to Auto, but when I come back out it still says none...
I ran a test on Easy CD -
"small files 3x (538 KB/sec)
large files 11x (1694 KB/sec)
Read Speed 12x (1860 KB/sec)

Audio Extraction Speed 15x (2712 KB/sec)"
N/A

cd-rw runs very slow...

When exiting the BIOS setup, you are not "saving the changes". There may be a specific way of exiting the BIOS to save the changes, it depends on the BIOS manufacturer.
The speed test are read tests, they have NO relationship to write speeds.
Again, I say, what is the maxium speed EZCD will allow you to select in the write speed box. Do not assume "optimal" is correct.
kayessjay
Dabbler

cd-rw runs very slow...

As far as I know I am saving properly. I get into the Primary Slave screen set it to auto (although it is already showing auto as soon as I enter the screen), then either
hit escape to go back a screen and it's back to 'none', if I press f10 to save and exit here it hasn't changed it when I go back into BIOS. Or
hit f10 straight from the Primary Slave screen, and again it saves and exits but when I go back in again, it is still showing 'none'.
I can't see any other way of saving, f10 worked before my hard drive was changed.
N/A

cd-rw runs very slow...

See your motherboard manual and check that your battery condition is OK, and that you don't have the CMOS clear jumber set.
N/A

cd-rw runs very slow...

There should be a jumper /switch at the back of your
cdrom for master / slave selection. If it's connected with a
seperate cable then it should be set to master.
Maybe it was connected as a slave to your old hard drive
and the jumper has'nt been changed, so check .
You should be using an ATA -66 IDE cable.
Your CDR should show up in your BIOS as secondary
master. When you 'enter ' secondary master your
CDR should be listed and you should choose the fastest UDMA speed it supports
I would call whoever changed your hard drive and find out what
was done.
Alec.