cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant view web pages help

_lecro_
Grafter

cant view web pages help

running xp with ie6,for the first couple of hours surfing everything is fine.Then pages stop displaying "this page cannot be displayed" somtimes when refreshed its ok but after a while browser says page is done but there is just a blank screen, if i restart its ok again for a while,err
also system restarts by its self then comes up with fat32 needs files verifing
any ideas welcome Cry
8 REPLIES
N/A

cant view web pages help

Hi there,

What antivirus product are you running and if so is it up to date?

Have you performed a full system scan lately?

system shutting down by itself may be evidence of vius activity?

Regards

Mark
_lecro_
Grafter

cant view web pages help

running McAfee virus scan up to date,zone alarm firewall ,checked system with spybot,adaware plus norton online all clear
think its more likely to be down to recently installed software.uninstalled all new programs cleared registry of all redundant files.cant use system restore because it was turned off while checking for viruses
any more ideas
N/A

cant view web pages help

A faulty hard disk or disk controller can cause restarts.
Any sudden restart that doesn't allow cached data to be written to the disk before closure will result in scandisk running a startup (unless you have disabled this with a utility like TweakUI.)
When the system restarts by itself, is it a sudden restart or does it go through the shutdown and restart procedure?Huh
_lecro_
Grafter

cant view web pages help

the system goes into sudden shut down for no apparent reason it doesnt matter what apps im using but usually the files that need verifying are temp internet files
N/A

cant view web pages help

As a first, I would reinstall Internet Explorer 6, Sun Java and the updates for IE6. It is possible that a corrupt operating system file is the cause. Although, XP should find corrupt OS files and restore them or ask for restore.

However, real sudden, "Plink", switch off's are generally down to hardware faults.
_lecro_
Grafter

cant view web pages help

thanks for that ill give it a go,
:? although it hasnt shut down yet since this morning
N/A

cant view web pages help

The switch off does sound more of a hardware problem.
It took 4 months to track down a problem I had to one of my 5 hard drives as the problem would go away for days on end and then reappear.
silvagod
Grafter

cant view web pages help

I had a similar problem on my son's computer, random shutdowns, locking up on games, BSODs.

I swapped EVERYTHING one at a time from a working computer and it turned out it was the CPU. Running too many things with too little PSU had sent it over the edge.

If you cannot solve the problem with software (I even got shutdowns when trying to reinstall winXP!!) then try each section of your hardware. Memory can also cause these faults and they are probably the cheapest to replace atm.