cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot connect to router or ping from xp pro

N/A

Please help someone !!

I have a belkin54g wireless router 2 pc's and a laptop all configured using dhcp and mac address security. 1 pc xp home, 1 xp prof and laptop xp pro.
All has been working fine for a couple of weeks until yesterday.

Started to get 1003 events unable to get ip address on the laptop wirless card, also tried the lan card on laptop to no avail, rebooted router powered off etc. no difference.

Disabled mac addess filtering (desperate now).
manually configured the ip address on laptop instead of dhcp ( and within router range 192.168.2-100 ), cannot ping the router.

Tried reboot, started and stopped dhcp client and dns services, even done several system restores.

Now completely stuck.

What services affect netwroking on xp pro ?
Any other help appreciated

Charlie Colson
charlie@colsons.plus.com
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Are the other 2 PCs able to comminicate with the router OK? i.e. it's only the laptop that can't communicate. Also are the other 2 PCs using Ethernet or are either connected via wireless?

Does the laptop have a software firewall fitted. If so try disabling it or even uninstalling it?

Also disable the Windows firewall if it is enabled.

Also disable any anti-virus software and see if that helps.
N/A

Thanks for quick reply alas :-

other 2 pc's work fine both use wireless cards
no software firewall enabled on laptop since installed router
no windows firewall enabled
virus software disabled seen as its standalone at present.

Still stuck
Community Veteran

A long shot but have you tried resetting the router back to the factory defaults and setting it up again from scratch?

Are you running the latest firmware in the router. If not I would try the latest version.
N/A

i am running the latest firmware - i think the problem is the laptop config in xp - other pcs fine.
When either of my lan cards are enabled the ip is autoconfigured by something but not my router what assigns auto ip ?
N/A

Has the laptop got a built in LAN Huh If so, it will use that in preference to any cardbus card. Disable the onboard LAN first.
N/A

not relevant have disabled used whatever it is the way the laptop assigns an ip address software related - has worked fine until now something has affected installtion virus, worm maybe just stuck with it

thanks for help anyway
N/A

if you do ipconfig /all do you have an ip in the same range as the other pc's?

Try looking at the network state by running in a cmd window

netsh dump

Can any of the pcs ping the laptop? Does tracert work? One of the windows updates gave a problem like this and was cured latter
N/A

cannot ping anything
if i use dhcp get ip out of range of router
if i manually configure get right ip but cannot ping anything.
network says its connected but not communicating at all
N/A

just restored back another week and problem seems to be fixed with no apparent difference, I haven't updated anything that i am aware of how can i find out what has been updated ?

And thanks for everyone who tried to help
Community Veteran

Unless you can remember exactly what you changed/installed/deleted since that restore point then there is no way to know what the problem is/was.

If you check windows update, are there any updates it thinks you no longer have. If so and your sure you downloaded that fix earlier, it may have been that causing the problem - or not Huh
N/A

Be sure to create a restore point now its working and check in add remove programes to see what updates you have then if it stops again you will know which update it is.

I had the same problem but letter updates fix it. try checking MS knowledge base
N/A

Something is corrupting my OS, After I rebooted problem reoccurs.
Have to restore every time I turn the laptop on , belking said they would help resolve when i can ring them at home later and suspect firewall - can't see it myself was working fine for 3 weeks before problem occurred.

PS i have auto update disabled and have not updated anything at all so something must be auto updating - maybe firewall which i will uninstall tonight

thanks for everyone's help.
N/A

restore points are pointless in ur situation.. just format and clean install
N/A

If your firewall has a miniport driver that intercepts all traffic going through your NIC, then it could be your problem.
McAfee Firewall uses such a miniport driver. Look in device manager and if it has a yellow icon, simply disable it or uninstall it.
Other Firewalls have similar systems.