cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot Format

N/A

cannot Format

Hi
Firstly Thanks for help on last posting I dont know how but with trying everything over and over I got it sorted ....But now another prob I bought a brand new Hard Drive to go with brand new Mo bo and brand new processor and brand new memory but I cannot get the hard drive to format it just hangs on variouse different stages the best I got was 74% but sometimes only 4% has anyone ever had this problem . Thanks you all
Val
11 REPLIES
N/A

cannot Format

How are you trying to format it? From DOS, or from Windows (having booted off another drive)?

Most drive manufacturers produce software packages to help automate the installation of new drives - I'd check the website of your HDD manufacturer (in the Support section) for something like this that might help you.
holdtight
Grafter

cannot Format

Ive had and seen similar problems with new drives when they have come from the manufacturer without having a low level format done
the way i sort it is to use fdisk first using any windows boot disk (98 onwards)
and then format

as sterndale says the manufacturers disk will do the same job though
Midville
Grafter

cannot Format

I always use MAXBLAST from the Maxtor website, always work for me. Not sure if it works for any other makes of drives though ?!?
holdtight
Grafter

cannot Format

It works with seagate drives as well but i havnt tried it with any others
but then seagate have their own version of maxblast in seatools which
you can also download from their site
N/A

cannot Format

I'll try Maxtors website and see ....
I was booting from dos . and I did not have one scrap of instructions in the Maxtor box so I thought it would be alright booting with floppy I ran Fdisk that went fine and then it all went horibly wrong,
I'll keep trying
Thanks
Val
Community Veteran

cannot Format

What size is the new hard drive?
Fdisk gets confused if its more that 40GB which most are these days.
Best bet if you have windows XP or if not then borrow a copy from a friend and boot with that. It will give you options for partitions etc and once its done press F8 and exit.
You can then go back to fdisk delete the ntfs partition and setup a dos one if you like then format the partitions.
N/A

cannot Format

FDISK tends not to show the full size of drives above 12GB, so if you use fdisk and create more than the primary partition then specify how big you want the partitions by using percentages and not 1000's of MB's.
Community Veteran

cannot Format

FDISK tends not to show the full size of drives above 12GB

Can't say that I've ever had any trouble using partition sizes in MBytes until the 40GB barrier is reached. After that it throws a wobler Cry
N/A

cannot Format

Actually I used FDISK to partition a 200GB HD (actually 186gb when formatted)
The three partitions were 93gb (50%) + 46.5gb (25%) + 46.5gb (25%).
I actually wanted the main C: parttition as 100gb, But settled on 93gb since 50% of the entire space was easier to work out in fdisk than messing about with percentages that have 3 values e.g. 33.3%.
Community Veteran

cannot Format

Hmm I've got another PC to build next week so Ill try the percentage method using fdisk and see what happens.
Watch this space Smiley
N/A

cannot Format

The best utility to use is maxblast as suggested earlier available from www.maxtor.com and works on nearly all IDE drives. You should run zero-fill first and then allow maxblast to create an xp partition for you.

Jake