cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't open outlook express 6

N/A

I can't open outlook express to check emails newsgroups e.t.c. It juststops when the blue intro screen appears. Explorer is OK.

Can anyone help with this problem?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I'm afraid not so instead I'm going to give a shameless plug for thunderbird.

In my opinion and that of many others it is far more secure than OE.
It has built in junk mail controls which in my experience are excellent.
and It can read rss feeds which OE can't i'd give it a try, obviously it won't fix outlook express however it will let you into your mail again.
N/A

Some will say your lucky not being able to open it. Assuming you have windows xp SP2 goto control panel then addd remove choose windows components and remove it.
Reboot
repeat above but this time add it. You shouldnt loose your emails but it is possable so be aware. You will have to redo your settings. I have had a few with this problem and this solves it
N/A

Thanks for the advice. Tried it but it didn't work. At the moment i am using outlook but I have loads of emails saved in outlook express folders that I cannot access Sad
Denzil
Grafter

You should be able to import old emails into Outlook, Thunderbird or whatever. In Outlook go File - Import and Export, then "Import Internet mail and addresses".
holdtight
Grafter

Yep you can do just that and it will import all your emails address book and any mail rules you might have set up
N/A

Thanks Chaps,

I have tried that but everything just freezes and says programme not responding.

Perhpas I need to reinstall outlook express but don't know how to do it. I have tried everything suuggested in this thread but no joy.

Thanks
holdtight
Grafter

Do you mean outlook stops responding when you start importing or does the computer freeze and everything stops

As mwright suggests assuming you have windows xp SP2 go to control panel then add remove programs then choose windows components and remove the tick next to outlook express
Reboot
repeat above but this time put the tick back in then reboot again but you do need sp2 installed to do this

Give it a try and if it doesnt work come back to us
N/A

I have sp2 installed and have done exactly what you people have instructed me to do and reinstalled it but it continues to freeze on start up. All I get is the blue outlook intro screen.

When I press ctrl alt delete I notice that the processor is at about 80 to 90 % trying to open it. I know some of you don't like outlook express but i do and its what I am used to.

I have carried out virus checks e.t.c but nothing shows up.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks all.
N/A

just reading the post below about outlook express and having to have messenger installed to run it.

I deleted messenger many months ago without any effect on outlook express itself. Could it be suddenly that it may be an issue.

I'll try installing messenger again tonight to see if this helps.
holdtight
Grafter

messenger is not necessary to run OE infact uninstalling it is one of the first things i do after a op sys reinstall as i find it a nuisance

is this a recent problem and do you have a restore point you can go back to before this started happening
N/A

Yes it is a recent problem and I have used system restore from two different months but the problem continues.

Its a complicted one this one :?