Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't access some files on the network

cwinters
Grafter

Hi guys
Ive just added another machine to my home network (existing machine XP home, new machine XP pro), and have shared certain directories on the Home machine.
I can 'see' the new directories with the files listed in explorer from Pro machine, but here's the odd bit:
Some of the files (usually executables) can't be accessed, but some can (even within the same directory).
"Windows cannot access the specified .. file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" is the message when I try to copy on run the prog.
any ideas? (this also happened when I previously added another XPhome machine to the network
Chris
4 REPLIES
N/A

XP home sucks for networking full stop, try turning of the windows firwall if its on, and also go to tools options and turn of "use simple file sharing" to see if that works, else update ur other home pcs to Pro

buz
cwinters
Grafter

thanks buz, sorry where's the simple file sharing?
chris
..update, found it now, doesn't seem to help Sad
N/A

hmmm, are you logging onto the other box as an account that has admin?

btw, if u want to swap files in a LAN use FTP as its faster, better, and supports resume, also if one file fails to copy, only that file is not copied it doesnt stop the entire copy command Cheesy
N/A

To gain access to files you must have an acount on the target pc. so if you log on to pc 1 with a username fred and password fred if the target doesnt have a acount called fred with a password fred it wont let you on.

Logon to both pc's with the same username and password and it should be ok. or you can map a drive from the cmd prompt .

net use \\targetpcname\targetpcsharename passwordon targetpc /:user: ussernameontargetpc

ie
net use p: \\mypc\myshare fred /user:fred

p: being the drive you want to map it as on your pc. You can save this as a cmd file and run it to reconnect