cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not install service packs

N/A

Hi my friends computer will not install windows service pack 1

it just comes up with this error message Q327101 it also gives a link.
when we goto the link it tells you how to fix it.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, follow these steps: 1. Click OK to close the error message.
2. Click Start, click Run, and then type appwiz.cpl in the Open box.
3. Click the program that customizes the startup graphics, and then click Remove.
4. Restart your computer, and then try to install the Service Pack again. If the problem persists, go to step 5.
5. On the desktop, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
6. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
7. Under System Startup, click Edit.

The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad.
8. Locate and then delete the /KERNEL= switch.
9. Save and then close the Boot.ini file.
10. Restart your computer.
11. Try to install the Windows XP Service Pack.

were stuck on 3. Click the program that customizes the startup graphics, and then click Remove.

we have no idea where to find this.Any help would be great many thanks TillBGoode and friend with many many problems Cheesy
14 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Why are you trying to install SP1 ? Go straight for SP2 it includes all the fixes and updates that SP1 had plus much more

unless there is good reason why your avoiding SP2 install that instead and if you still have problems come back and tell us

Are you running either programs that microsoft mention (BootXP or
LogonUI Boot Randomizer) ?? if so go to run type msconfig then to the startup tab and untick any mention of these or any other graphics type programs that are starting with windows then reboot your systerm and try installing the service pack again

SP2 can be dowloaded from Here or you can order it on CD also backing up anything you dont want to lose is a good idea before installing any service packs
N/A

I have already got service pack 2 my friend told me service pack 1 had some other security stuff on it that was not on service pack 2 thanks for that will try it now Cheesy
holdtight
Grafter

No your friend is wrong SP2 includes everything that was in SP1 plus its own bug fixes and updates

If you still have any problems after trying that get back to us

Bill.
N/A

I we are getting the same error come up after it extracts the files
madswitcher
Grafter

The recent issues of XP already include SP1 so you do not need to. As holdtight said, SP2 will include any updates to that. Your friend is wrong on that point. Also it may be better to just use the standard Windows update process and let it do the work of sorting out what you need.

Cheers, Mike
N/A

hes said it does not work and also he has some other errors which i may be able to resolve mysel as i think i had the same error and ixed it
Denzil
Grafter

Has this PC been online at all? If it has been running without SP1, let alone SP2, and been online, then there is some risk of nasties being present. It could be worth a clean reinstall from the original CD, then install SP2, then do an online update. Like holdtight says backup all personal data first!

If your friend goes online at all then online updates must be done regularly. As soon as a security weakness is published you can guarantee that somebody will start writing nasties to exploit it, in the hope of catching people who haven't bothered to update.
N/A

The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad.
8. Locate and then delete the /KERNEL= switch.
9. Save and then close the Boot.ini file.
10. Restart your computer.
11. Try to install the Windows XP Service Pack

Where it says 8. Locate and then delete the /KERNEL= switch. we have got /KERNEL=oemkrnl instead
holdtight
Grafter

Your boot ini file should look something like this which is mine

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

although it wont be identicle as ive done some editing myself, i think in your or your friends position i would take Denzils advice and start from scratch as there is a strong to very likely possibility of nasties as mentioned then let windows update install any updates inc SP2 before you do anything else online with the system
N/A

trying to avoide a reinstallation as he has lots of stuff saved on his hard drive which he does not want to loose.he only has a cd rom drive nothing else.

my boot file looks very much so like urs do you think following the steps in the guide might be a good idea and reamove /KERNEL=oemkrnl even though its meant to be /KERNEL=switch thats the only differance i can see.

the guide said after deleting putting service pack 1 or 2 on should replace the file.
holdtight
Grafter

Your friend has some issues with his system that need sorting out and i feel a reinstallation is the way to go

you can remove the entry from the boot ini file save it and reboot then try installing the service pack but SP2 not 1, if it is succesful i would suggest a full system scan with an up to date virus program such as AVG and a search for any spyware / adware using spybot search and destroy and adaware (all are free) after you have fully updated with any relevent patches using windows update

If it doesnt work your friend will have to find some way to back up what he wants to keep and reinstall windows, he can go in and buy a DVD writer of the shelf at pc world *spit* for about £25 at the moment or see if he can borrow one for the time being but in this day and age he should have at least a CD writer in his pc as a matter of course, they are so cheap to buy now theres no reason not to have one
N/A

Yeah I totally agree thanks I will try it out now
N/A

Thanks was able to install will get my froiend to do a full system check when he gets it back Thanks again
holdtight
Grafter

No problem im glad you got it sorted !

Maybe it would be a good idea to show him how to keep his system secure and up to date if he`s not security minded otherwise he will be in the same position again its only a matter of time Sad

Regards

Bill.