cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

c:\documents and setting Folder Suddenly Appeared

Community Veteran

I've just noticed that yesterday evening a "c:\documents and setting" (not settings) folder appeared on my PC (XP home edition) . It contains "cookies" and "local settings" sub folders and a number of other sub folders all hidden. It looks like a copy of the temporary files folders that usually appear under "documents and settings".

Does anyone have any idea where these folders might have come from and what they are for? Can I safely delete them?

Thanks - Bob
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you moved the location of where you store you cookies and IE cache files within Internet Explorer? If so, you may have given it the wrong folder name.

Have you installed or update any software recently?
Community Veteran

Peter, thanks for the reply.

I've checked the four user accounts on our PC and IE (IE7) settings are all pointing to "documents and settings".

I haven't knowingly installed or updated any software within the last week other than some Microsoft "Automatic Updates".

Bob
N/A

You could try doing a search through the registry and see if it's being referenced there.

I'd also suggest doing a full virus scan, as some malware can try to hide under folders the user will not suspect.

You can also try a "System Restore" to a time before the folder appeared. Check the System Restore safe points for any software that was installed / updated around this time to find a possible culprit for the bogus folders.

Regards,
Community Veteran

Hi gibxxi and thanks for the reply.

I deleted the folder about a week ago (well moved it to the recycle bin) and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems. I had done a full virus scan (Norton) and Adware scan (Windows Defender and AdAware SE) and nothing had shown up. I didn't try searching the registry though - how would I do this?

Thanks - Bob