Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buying a new router, advice needed

N/A

Following on from the problems explained in this thread:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18563&highlight=

We have decided to try to buy a new router. The problems have persisted, it seems to be at it's worst when more of us are on the net at once, so we are hoping a new router will help to stabilise things. As we are poor students, already spending too much money on our connection we do not want to buy an expensive router. We are looking at something at a max of maybe £100ish. We currently have the Solwise router that we got from PlusNet, it does not have any ports, it just plugs straight into our hub, so i guess we need another one like that. Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Just wondering as well, how do the routers with ports work? Do they eliminate the need for the hub? We have 7 people sharing the connection at peak times.
Community Veteran

The ports on a router (the 4 port variety anyway) are a hub - actually more precisly they are a switch rather than a hub (a switch only alows data for the PC itself to pass down it's cable, a hub passes all data down all cables).

If you have 7 PCs sharing the connection and they are all wired connections then you need to buy a 4 or 8 port hub or switch (a switch will be better). With 4 port switch you will have 7 free ports, with 8 ports you will have 11 free ports . You then plug the switch into one of the router ports and connect all 7 PCs to the free ports on router and separate hub/switch.

The other option (much more expensive) is to use wireless to some of the PCs but this may be out of your price bracket especially when you have to also buy the WiFi cards for your PCs.
N/A

I see, any suggestions on which models to go for?
Community Veteran

Do you mean switchs or hubs, or a new ADSL modem router.

For switches/hubs just get one that fits your budget. I got an 8 port switch from Watford electronics for about £12 which is working fine, other hubs/switches can be in the 25->40 quid mark for named brands like netgear etc.

If your after a new ADSL modem/router then what you have will be perfectly adequate for your purposes and if all 7 PCs are currently connected then just stay as you are. If you do want to change go for the Netgear DG834 which has an ADSL modem, router, 4 ports and SPI firewall and should cost about £60. For a wireless device the Netgear DG834G or Linksys WAG54G for around £100 + the Wifi adaptors for any PCs which could be £10->£30 each.
N/A

If you read the tread i linked to then you will see that we have been experiencing terrible problems with the connection, and PlusNet have not been ableto fix it. I have just spent the last hour trying to log into an online game, the connection is so unstable that i keep getting booted and can't play. So i hope a new router may solve the problem.