bt voyager105

N/A

bt voyager105

indeed it does.
10 REPLIES
N/A

bt voyager105

hi

does anyone know if the voayager 105 will support max dsl up to 8Mb.

PN say it will and BT say it wont ,bit confused

http://www.faster.bt.com/what-you-need.asp

cheers
Community Veteran

bt voyager105

No, for several reasons:

The drivers will not work above 2Mbs reliably without a patch

It's a USB modem so you will be limited by the speed of your USB port and as most of the processing is done by your CPU, it will not cope very well.

For the faster speeds you should look to change to a router like the netgear DG834 which is getting pretty cheap now but is still one of the best home based routers around.
N/A

bt voyager105

thanks for the info Cheesy
N/A

bt voyager105

If new customers are being connected at up to 8Mbs speeds, why is the Voyager 105 still being supplied.

Does this mean that all exsisting customers with them will have to purchase a new modem when their line is upgraded.
N/A

bt voyager105

So with this older usb modem it sounds like i'm gonna need to upgrade to a router then?

http://www.zoom.com/graphics/datasheets/adsl/5510A_USB_Sheet.pdf
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

bt voyager105

So effectively what we are saying is that those of us with a Voyager 105 may suddenly not be able to connect when upgraded to 8Mbs & as we dont know exactly when that will be we had better react quickly and purchase a router. Glad i spotted this topic!
N/A

bt voyager105

Even though the BT site states that you will only receive speeds up to 4Mb with the 105, we have tested various modems/routers on the higher MAX speeds and the 105 performed well.

Regards,
xxxx xxxxxx

I raised a ticket about the voyager 105 this was the reply...

@suemason

I noticed that the zoom usb modem only has a max download of 8MB in time speeds would be greater than 8MB so it maybe not be a good choice..
N/A

bt voyager105

indeed it does.

So a great number of customers have paid and are still paying £25 for a modem, that in the near future is going to be useless.

If this is the case surely people should be told that this modem will no longer be suitable, and they should stop supplying it.
N/A

Voyager 105 Modem

I joined plus net a few weeks ago and they supplied me with this modem, i am on the 8mb service and its working fine albeit at a max of about 6mb.

Is there some way i can tell what firmware / software the 105 has?

DFH101
Community Veteran

bt voyager105

Bring up "modem status" and press Control-F1, which displays all the technical gubbins including firmware levels etc . be careful as some of this stuff is reconfigurable and you could wreck your setup (although if you do a simple reinstall would probably sort it but better safe than sorry)

it may not be much use to you however as there are few updates.

the link petervaughn offers is to a BT patch that seems to be some 3 years old and so much older than the firmware being currently distributed with the V105. I've downloaded it but haven't tried it yet.

I'm using a V105 on Max (stable rate 8000 but still in the 14 day period) and get up to 4.4MB/s when the connection's good, but as little as 1.1MB/s at other times. Can't afford a new modem/router so stuck with this but its still mostly faster than my old 2MB connection.