cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

browsing from the run box on start menu

bobje

I`m using windows xp home edition with all critical downloads installed.

when I hit the "start" in lower left corner of desktop to access the run box, if I type any web address in it and try to run it I get a message saying "unable to locate program, browse to find" and I`m taken to a blank ie explorer screen.
This used to work , what have I done?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Have you checked your machine for spyware or viruses?

Do you know what your default page is within Internet Explorer?

You might have been infected by some spyware which is called something like "Blank Page" . It alters the default page to Blank, and re-directs other pages to blank.
bobje

re- browsing from the run box on start menu

thanks for the reply gadgetboy.

My default browser page is plusnet which i can access by going through the ie icon on the desktop as normal. My antivirus and spyware programs are up to date both of which I run daily and have found no viruses etc. It is only when I try to access the internet through Start - Run - ok that this problem occurs. Normal dos commands work ok using this route.

eg Start - Run - web address - ok I get the message stated in my first post

Start - Run - dos command - ok the dos command executes
thejudge
Grafter

Sorry if this is wide of the mark (I've just tried this with 98SE), but do you put the http:// before the web address when you try this? If you don't, try it this way and see what happens.

HTH
N/A

Whats you defalt web browser?
bobje

browsing from run box

I had been using Spybot Search and Destroy to check for spyware until a friend experienced a similar problem. He was using Adaware SE and found 2 Windows registry changes which Spybot hadn`t found. I downloaded the same version and sure enough it found the same registry entries which had been altered. After a bit tweaking with the entries my computer is now back to normal. Thank you to all who contributed to this thread.
rjedwards