cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

boot problem

N/A

boot problem

When I started my PC I got this error message
"CMOS checksum error defaults loaded Please enter setup to set clock ratio for CPU being plugged"
If I ignored this the PC booted and this is how I am posting this !!
I have had a look at the set up utility my system date and time had altered to 00:00 in 1998 - which I corrected
in the BIOS feature setup option the CPU Internal Core Speed was 350 MHz
I have a PII 400
Would I be right in thinking that I need to change the bios setting to 400 MHz
I thought I would ask as there where all sorts of warnings about damage that could be caused by overclocking. Am I undeclocking
As the PC boots it recognizes the cpu as a "Pentium II MMX CPU at 412 MHz"
Which figure goes in the bios setting 400 or 412 MHz
3 REPLIES
N/A

boot problem

It may well be that the battery on the motherboard doesn't have enough power to keep the setting for the CMOS saved when the PC is switched off ? (not sure on that one....)

Underclocking certainly doesn't do any harm. Do you get the option to choose a specific Mhz speed ? Go for 412 if it allows it, if not go for 400.

When you've reset the CPU speed and date, does it retain the information ok after being left turned off for a while ?

Dave
Community Veteran

boot problem

Classic symptom of a failed CMOS backup battery which keeps the cmos/BIOS settings when the power is switched off. CMOS batteries usually last around 5 years (often much longer) and given the processor you have I suspect it is older trhan that.

If you look on the mobo you should see a watch type battery. Remove this (hopefully it is not soldered to the mobo) and get a new one. If it is soldered you will need to take it to your local computer repair shop and get them to replace it.
N/A

boot problem

Thanks for the replies.
I had the pc feb 1999 so it is 5 years old.
If it was low battery that caused the malfunction I suppose all settings will have reverted to there defaults. PC is running OK at the moment