cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blue screen

N/A

blue screen

Help please, my daughter as screwed the pc up, dont know how suspect a dodgy download it seems that certain files are missing in win syst32 or corrupt, i have benn running win XP ,upgraded over win ME for smetime without any probs. now i have rebooted, but my system wont recognise any of my hds, i have been into the system bios, and whc=ich ever hd I SELECT as master or slave the system wont detect, can some one shed any light, im qiuet happy to reformat a HD as everythings backed, but it wont let me do ANYTHING , T I A antny Sad
3 REPLIES
N/A

blue screen

If the Bios is not seeing the drives its nothing to do with the o/s its hardware.

It can be a knackered HD.
Faulty cable to the hard drive
Loose cable to the hard drive
Loose/knackered power cable to the hd.
The HD controller is disabled in the bios

Unplug the pc from the wall for 3 mins and try again as turning it off doesnt real fully power it down.

If it more than one hard drive its likely to be the cable if they both on the same cable, have you got a dvd/cd if so is that working. If the cd/dvd is working it proves that controller/cable is working try the hd on that cable controller and try and detect them again. You can test the cd if you have a bootable cd by booting from the cd.

The only other thing it can be is the hard disk controller which is normaly on the MB so cant be replaced. If everything else works you could by an add on card.
N/A

blue screen

well thx ,its weird cos bios wont recognise any of the HD,s now altho controller enabled, interestingly tho , cd and dvd drives recogised , jhvc swopped cables withput any positiveresults, Im not sure what it is. thx 4 advice, any more appreciated. Antony
N/A

blue screen

if you have more than one hard drive try them individually ! and its always worth having a new 80pin ata133 ide cable should cost about what £2.00 on average!