cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bios settings

vic_newey
Grafter

bios settings

I messed around with the bios after installing new memory sticks after following advice from the net & couldn't get the PC to start .I couldn't even get into the bios to revert the settings I had altered.
The Graphic card failed to initialise so i had nothing onscreen .
I refitted the original memory sticks & the computer booted up o.k..
I then restarted & put the settings back & refitted my new memory & all is fine.

My question is how could I have reverted the bios had I not had the original memory sticks to install, is there a way to set bios defaults on the motherboard itself ?
4 REPLIES
N/A

bios settings

Reset the CMOS Jumper. Usually documented quite well in all motherboard manuals. You switch the jumper from pin 1-2 to pin 2-3 for a few seconds, this forces a bios reset, bit like a satellite receivers master reset.

Some motherboards with dual bios operation do it themselves if they fail to boot up 3 times. Pressing the reset switch several times reverts them back to the stock settings you saved as default.
N/A

bios settings

Yes there are a couple of ways, have a look in your manual for the jumper settings to short the board - or pull the on board battery out for a few minutes.
vic_newey
Grafter

bios settings

Its an Asus A8V mobo, strangely enough I couldn't turn the PC off as the on/off & restart buttons didn't work either & had to switch off on the wall.
Anyhow its running well now, that'll teach me to meddle !
N/A

bios settings

You have to push the power button for atleast 3 seconds, then the computer will turn off Cheesy

I have had an A8V in the past, its not a bad board at all.