cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad emails

N/A

bad emails

Could somebody tell me why I am having returned emails that I have not sent.

I presume I have some sort of virus/bug doing some nasty stuff but I obviously want to stop it!!!!

Please help cause I don't want my computer sending out virus's. Sad
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

bad emails

It's probably nothing wrong with your machine at all.
What is the normal thing here is that someone who has your email address in their own address book has been infected with a virus.
That virus is now happily sending out emails from the infected machine and is using yours and others email addresses as the from address.

If you have done all the necessary virus and spyware checks on your own installation then you can be pretty confident that the above is the cause.
There is little you can do about it though other than hope that the infected machine gets cleaned.
N/A

bad emails

Well that at least puts my mind to rest to some degree. Yes I have done loads of sweeps for virus's etc and it says my system is clean. Do you know if I can find out which computer is sending these out so I can advise them? I am seriusly getting about 20 - 30 per day and its really annoying having to sift through them to get proper emails.
Community Veteran

bad emails

Not easy but you could have a sift through the "Headers" for the mails and see if there is a common denominator such as IP adress etc.
I dont think you will find there name in there though as its spoofing yours.
Community Veteran

bad emails

Hi there,

The chances of finding the originator of the email or emails would not be easy, particularly as IP addresses can be spoofed, almost as easily as email addresses, which is the whole purpose of spammers - they are just spamming a set of domains to get active email addresses to sell on to more spam houses.

So you might as well liken it to flogging a dead horse unfortunately :\

The best thing I would suggest is to use mailwasher, as John has suggested in other threads, or to get your catchall mailbox blackholed.

Kind regards,

Roger.
Community Veteran

bad emails

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/28

Explains some of the common methods the spammers use and spoofing is usually top of the list.

There is very little you can do, especially if the spam is to an email address you use a lot.
N/A

bad emails

The best thing I would suggest is to use mailwasher, as John has suggested in other threads, or to get your catchall mailbox blackholed.

Kind regards,

Roger.

Hi Roger

Could you explain 'catchall mailbox blackholed' procedure please and how I do it?
Community Veteran

bad emails

As Roger doesn't seem to be arround at the moment I'll try and explain for you.

If your are just using paulnsam as the login name with your mail client then you will actually be collecting any mail with any name that is addressed to xxxxx@paulnsam.plus.com

To make it more difficult for the spammers you can setup one or more "Named Mailboxes" so that only mail sent to a specific name(s) is collected.
Lets assume that you only wanted to collect mail sent to albert at paulnsam etc.
You use the Email Settings option on the left and create a mailbox named albert along with a password for that box.
To collect mail from the albert box you then set up your mail client to log on as paulnsam+albert along with the correct password.
Do this for all names you want to use and also create a box called postmaster (or a divert to send postmaster mail to another box) as you are obliged to check for mail to that as that is the address that Plusnet will use to send you mail.

Once you are happy that your named mailboxes are set up and working then raise a ticket (question) on the Help and Support pages requesting that your default mail box is "Black holed"
Any mail thats not sent to your named boxes will then just be removed.

Hope that explains it for you.
Njal
Grafter

bad emails

Any mail thats not sent to your named boxes will then just be removed.

It might be worth noting that a trivial spelling mistake or typo in the addressees name (eg "albrrt" instead of "albert") will result in the email disapppearing into the black hole.

Depending on circumstances this may be a problem.

Regards,

Neil
N/A

bad emails

Thanks Moderator you have explained that really well and I shall try that as soon as I can.

Thanks to everyone for your response.