cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone recommend an adsl router?

N/A

Hi all,

I'm looking at adsl routers and am after some input from others. I previously had a CM so I guess I'm an adsl virgin!

I've been looking at the 3Com OfficeConnect 3CRWDR200A or the Netgear DG834G, I'm not too fussed about wireless speed, 54G should be plenty but I would like the firmware software to be flexible so I can configure access to a webserver from outside the LAN as well as allowing ssh access.

Any personal experience of these units or others would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Jools
18 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Hi Jools
If you do a search of the forums, you'll find that many people have asked this question.
The generally preferred router by those on the forums (though not uniquely so) is the Netgear DG834 (wireless or otherwise).

I got one myself (wired) after all their nagging, and find it easy to use, sets itself up, and increased my broadband sync speed from 3.5Mb to 5.5Mb as it seems to be very sensitive.

But do a search and look at all the views.
Community Veteran

i'v only got experience with two but fwiw:
i recently set up a small wireless lan for a friend and used the netgear dg834g as so many here seem to love them. it took about 10 minutes (!) and he's very happy with the stability. the tricky bit always seems to come with enabling encryption if you have a mix of adapters and/or OS versions.
the draytek 2800 series are very full-featured but some have experienced problems with them on marginal lines. i use one and haven't had a problem yet mind you.
as mr pattison says, do some searches. someone'll report a bad experience for every product of course ...
Community Veteran

Been using a D-Link G604T wireless for a while now and it does the job superbly Smiley
N/A

I'll again add my reccomendation for Netgear kit.

Tip: Whichever you go with (Netgear or otherwise) always ensure you have the latest firmware installed on your router.
All the makes I have experienced have had a fairly intuitive interface for upgrading.

Obviously make use of the backup function of the router before upgrading - sometimes things don't go as well as you'd hope! (Its worth backing up the settings on day one too, once you have all the details entered correctly)
N/A

I got a Netgear DG834v2 and it is very stable for maxdsl.
N/A

All,

Thanks for the information, I've just downloaded a number of manuals, I'll check them out. At the moment it looks like the netgear is top of the list.

Regards

Jools
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

I have a linksys WAG54GS seems ok on MAX but think ill go for a netgear come pay day to see if it alters my connection speed any
octafish
Grafter

I've installed Belkin Pre-N MIMO ADSL router/modems for friends and they're superb. I use a KCorp KLG575 router with a D-Link 320T and that combo's great too.

Just my four penneth.

S
Community Veteran

Been using a D-Link G604T wireless for a while now and it does the job superbly Smiley

Well I spoke too soon Sad My Dlink died yesterday.
Nipped out and thought I'd try a Belkin wireless one at £55

It works fine and is dead easy to set up. I cant however find any way to get line stats from it which is a little bit disappointing.
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

All,

Thanks for the information, I've just downloaded a number of manuals, I'll check them out. At the moment it looks like the netgear is top of the list.

Regards

Jools

which one have you decided to buy then?
Alecto
Grafter

thought I'd try a Belkin wireless one at £55

It works fine and is dead easy to set up. I cant however find any way to get line stats from it which is a little bit disappointing.

Aren't they the ones with the hidden page (as per Kitz) then?
Community Veteran

It must be petty well hidden as I've tried all sorts to see if I can get the info.
I've emailed Belkin support so I'll see what they come up with if anything. Wink
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I would recommend a wireless Linksys ADSL router. I recommend Linksys for having a fantastic, patient and knoledgeable help desk that you gt through to without pressing a thousand different buttons. They answer immediately and it is an 0800 number - not that is not a misprint.
shellsong
Grafter

I've emailed Belkin support so I'll see what they come up with if anything. Wink

I hope you're luckier than me-- so far I've had three repeats of the same response from Belkin support about a Pre-N wireless router that was working fine for six months and then decided to refuse to communicate with the outside world!

They didn't pay any real attention to the detailed information in my original email including how I'd tried to hard reset it to it's default state without success and have repeated the same instructions over and over again-- they're as bad as PN CS on a bad *day/*week/*month

*(delete as necessary) Tongue