cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aghhh my profile has changed,looks like new install,help

N/A

ok been having network problems, so like an idiot as we do, go fiddling, just when pc is running lovley.

so i go "right clik my comp,properties", then i choose "network identification", and change the name of the pc ( was told this would sort my lack of file sharing on network problem out).

it then tells me to reboot, i do, i then clik the "network identification wizard", and go through that....now AGHHHHH after reboot i find the desktop has changed, thing gone missing, my firefox has reset its self, so as thunderbird, basically its looking like i have just done a reinstall (which i havnt of course)

then i go searching for whats caused it, and i now notice in profiles, its created a main "admin " profile (now default), and i can see my old one (my name). now as an extra profile......plz tell me i can rectify this and get back my original old profile and settings/email and the like, ive lost loads of imprtant stuff.

cant belive its done this with such a small thing....plz somebody tell me i can get back to my original set up/profile, nothing i have tried does anything ,just wont let me...any help very much apriciated.
thanks
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

are you using xp, can you use system restore?
N/A

lol m8 just had that idea, and iam on win 2k worst luck...so nope Sad
MarkAngel
Grafter

What a Ball Ache 2K can be...
What was the PC called beore?
What is it Called now?
Did you change the Domain/Workgroup? If so from what to what?

The good news is that anything importatant like E-mails N such should be safe, you will just have to go looking for them.

Mark
N/A

There are several way around it. First create a new admin user so you wont get lock out.
Login as that user and then copy the new profile to somewere else so you have a backup.
Make sure you can view all files including hidden and then copy your old profile into the new one. So you copy all the files in the directory including sub dirs into the dir of the new profile so the profile name is the same.

Log back on as normal and it should be ok.

You can go into the control panel/system/userprofiles and copy it from there.

If it doesnt work rename the pc back to its old name and then do it