Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding computer to network

ady
Grafter

hey

im trying to add my first computer to a router

so far: ( just standard adsl line > router > ethernet to computer )

i want to add a laptop, however am getting into trouble

i can see the connection on the laptop
i.e. what the router is synching at etc

however i cant connect to the internet from it. im sure its something to do with IP static, but i really dont have any idea,

also when i go to router settings / lan clients

i see the laptop computer and it has set a Dynamic Address

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Topic moved to the reevant forum for networking.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Hi

One thing that kept me from being able to add my laptop was my Zone Alarm firewall. I turned it off and then gave the correct permissions...

This may not be your problem but it's worth bearing in mind.
Community Veteran

Make sure your network connection is set to obtain IP and DNS automatcally.

Also try disabling any wireless connection to see if that might be interfering with it.
ady
Grafter

ahh ok, well i have zone alarm on main PC < this

and norton on laptop

hmm ill look for those settings
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

If its Norton then that is probably the problem.
From memory you need to add the router IP address (or range) to the trusted zone otherwise Norton won't let you see it.
Community Veteran

Anything on your main PC will not affect the connection on your laptop as it goes direct to the router so no need to do anything there - except it you want to transfer data between the two PCs in which case ZA needs to be told the IP of your laptop is in the trusted zone before network shares will will work.

I am assuming both PCs are connected to your router and you are not trying to connect the laptop via your other PC using ICS (internet Connection Sharing). If you are, that's a completely different set-up and ZA free will get in the way.
ady
Grafter

nah both connected straight to the router

if i got to netowkr connections on laptop i can see the router "linux etc etc"

this laptop has been setup for use with a university, so i dunno if this is what is affecting it
N/A

On the pc that works goto start then run and type cmd press return and in the dos windows type ipconfig /all then do the same on the laptop.

You should get something like this
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222

The ip should be different on both pc's but only the last number. The default gateway must be the same. If the laptop isnt in the same range type ipconfig /release then type ipconfig /renew and try again. If it doesnt alter you need to change the network setting to obtain an ip automaticaly and then it should work. If it has a fix ip write down all the settings as you will need to put them back in for uni.
ady
Grafter

well its "fixed" now, i can browse internet on both machines
it was something in the "internet options" > connections part

i added "broadband connection" and turned off this "proxy " thing, i guess that was setup for UNI network

anyway, all seems ok, apart from on main PC, a web browser appears with around half a page of random letters on it, not much but i have to keep closing it

if any1 knows what this is i'd appreciate anything to stop it Smiley