cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

accessing my home pc using the internet

N/A

Hi,

If my home pc is connected to the internet via my adsl connection - how do i go about accessing it / configuring it so that i can access this machine when i am not at home ?

I realise that there are security concerns and i will need to setup some kind of firewall

note the box will be running unix
4 REPLIES
N/A

it should have the SSHD running as standard on unix (linux?) so all you need to do is open port 22 on your router to allow you to ssh in

ssh your_ip

should bring up a login for your box, now if you want a gui you will have to set your client to forward X if installed.

Or you can run the RealVNC server on your box, forward the port (5800 and 5900 i think) and use the VNC client to connect.
N/A

i assume its the ipaddress assigned to me by plusnet, if so then what if i want to have more than 1 machine attached to my hub - is there an ip address range that i get given ?

TIA
N/A

with vnc you can have multiple connections to the same ip address using different ports I believe, with you forwarding different posrts to different machines internally (Using NAT). Failing that you can ask PN for a ip block, but be warned you will have to justify this!
N/A

you have one external ip , and many internal ips given to you by your own DHCP server // static ips such as 10.10.10.X or 192.168.1.X, these are not seen by the outside, so you would have to forward the ports from your single external ip to one of the internal ones