cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a windows problem

N/A

a windows problem

time to scratch your heads guys - my bald spot is growing bigger by the minute with frustration

the windows search window keeps appearing for no reason and in multiple quantities (up to 8 at a time)
this happens without warning in a variety of applications
closing the search windows using win task manager results in them appearing again but not always. closing them using the close button does not get rid of them nor does closing using alt+F4. sometimes closing them all will work and i have no problems at all. somtimes i can go for a full session without the problem, sometimes for only a few minutes
restarting the computer does not always solve the problem nor does shutting down and rebooting
the problem seems to occur most when i'm typing (especially when filling in forms such as this) but not always

any ideas anybody? or can you suggest a place to go for help?

i'm running winxpprosp2 fully upgraded from microsoft sites
3 REPLIES
N/A

a windows problem

Dodgy keyboard perhaps? Maybe a fault with ctrl + f ?

Can you test with another keyboard?
N/A

a windows problem

I have seen this in relation to Spyware, some spyware tries to change the windows search facility (Search Hijacker), sometimes fails to do so properly but can cause strange things to happen with windows searches. Some spyware keylogs and tries to pop up ads or functions with certain words or phrases.

It may not be the problem but may be worth running a scan with a spyware remover. I use Spybot at www.security.kolla.de and Ewido at www.ewido.com, both free.
N/A

a windows problem

check the hardware - borrow a keyboard which you know works ok and plugg it into your machine. If still getting problems then download the latest antivirus definition files for your a/v software. power down your machine for a couple of mins. Then boot into safe mode and do a full virus scan, then check for spyware etc. Try adaware from lavasoft & pestpatrol.
(This can take some time depending on the speed of your machine & number of files on the hard drive).
If all clean & ok, reboot your machine and see how if works.