cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zonealarm/Internet Access Problems

Community Veteran

Recently my PC went wrong and windows had to be re-installed. Since then I have been unable to get on the internet without exiting zonealarm which loads at startup, loading firefox, then reloading zonealarm.

I have tried a reinstall keeping settings and one not these have not changed the situation. Has anyone else had a problem like this that could help me here?
7 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

These unclean reinstalls of windows are always prone to problems, and it gets itself confused even though it's supposed to keep its settings.
Why not uninstall Zonealarm and download the free Sygate personal Firewall, which has never given me a moment's trouble?
Community Veteran

Sorry, unclean re-install? Windows was re-installed to a different disk from an image when the PC was new (6 years in December!) Zonealarm used to work fine on here. Will have a look at sygate though.
Alecto
Grafter

By unclean, I mean not clearing your disk and starting from fresh.
It seems the only way Windows will be happy, so trying Sygate instead was my idea to avoid you having to start afresh, which is always a pain.
Community Veteran

In that sense it was a clean install. Have installed sygate for now will see how it goes - I liked zonealarm.
N/A

Did you try going into program control settings, (double click the zonealarm icon in the system tray) removing the firefox entry then openiong firefox to get the warning box up again?

Ive never seen zonealarm behave this badly,
Community Veteran

I think so. I've installed sygate for now but prefer ZA tbh. It's weird because firefox would work if zonealarm was closed then re-opened after you loaded ff.
N/A

I used to have that problem with Windows ME and one of the earlier versions of ZA, to solve it I'd set ZA to not run at start-up and starting it when connecting to the internet. Haven't seen that happening with XP SP2.

Did you try uninstalling ZA completely and then reinstalling it? Perhaps a different version of ZA?

I would stay clear of the latest version (8.0.631.003) though, I had to go through program control several times to activate the programs that it had disabled by default - including AVG and other security software updates! It had also made IE 'fully trusted' and disabled Firefox...go figure!