cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellow triangle with an exclamation mark

N/A

A yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark appears from time to time in my system tray.

It doesn't do anthing and after a few seconds it goes away, or I can double click on it with the same result.

Hovering the mouse over it produces no information.

Googling found some people whose icon flashed and apparenlty this is spyware. Mine doesn't flash.

I have run Adaware SE and Search & Destroy to no affect.

Norton Internet Security 2005 is installed and an antivirus scan finds nothing. The logs for NIS show no attacks.

I have DU Meter installled and no data is transmitted unless I want it to - even supposing the infection/worm/trojan/pain in the bum feature got through my firewall.

I'm stumped!

Anyone care to unstump me?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Possible Trojen? Ivan

Hi Tony,

I've just read your posting and as an experienced computer user the most logical thing that comes to mind is you could have a trojen horse infection. The reason I say this is because trojens can hide themselves inside other programs or files, such as games or other kinds of software that you might have installed in the past.

**Trojens wont be detected by anti virus software

**Trojens wont be detected by spyware or malware scanners

What I do suggest is that you download a free trial version of Trojen Hunter which I think gives you a 30day trial of the fully working program. Install this and run the program and see if it finds any known trojens. Trojen Hunter can be found at the following URL http://www.trojanhunter.com/trojanhunter/

Regards Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

also try using hijackthis.
i know it doesnt sound like a browser hijack, but it will tell you what processes are running on your machine.
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A black exclamation mark on a yellow triangular background, with the word "Error" against it is an Outlook Express error message indicating it's failure to obtain a connection to your e-mail a/c.

The message sometimes appears at the start of a session as a connection is established with your ISP's server. Outlook Express might be hindered by some other activity at start-up, eg your anti-virus/firewall may automatically look for updates as soon as a you connect to your ISP.

The error message will disappear as soon as Outlook Express obtains a connection to your mailbox.

Regards

Noel
holdtight
Grafter

Noel is spot on Cheesy
N/A

Hi,

Oh!! OK sounds good to me, I havent used OE for years now though.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

A black exclamation mark on a yellow triangular background, with the word "Error" against it is an Outlook Express error

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately the Outlook Express error appears on the bottom toolbar of OE as well as in a large pop-up box, whereas the triangle I have appears in the system tray.

TrojanHunter (as suggested by ivn2mod) found 12 trojans in my storage disk (mainly infected copies of mirc), but no active ones. After completing removing them anyway and rebooting the triangle appeared again - aaarrrgghhhh!!
N/A

OE Mystery Icon Ivan

Hello Tony,

Glad to hear that you downloaded TrojenHunter (I think this is possibly one of the best anti trojen programs I've come across, it seems to get very good reviews). And that it was useful for you.

OK back to the yellow triangle with black exclamation mark, can I make another suggestion here? when you see the yellow triangle icon showing in the system tray this means that some process or program is using memory.

When you see the icon leave it alone, next try alt +crtl+del next select Task Manager from the options that appear, in task manager have a close look to see which programs are running (?is outlook express actually running?) also look at which process's (process tab I think) are loaded and using memory (this should be possible), look carefully through that list and see if there is anything that obviously shouldnt be running like some sort of background process.

**There is a manual way of doing this too from a DOS or CMD.exe window, from the command prompt type tasklist.exe /svc

**This is abit strange the yellow icon black exclamation mark in the system tray as apart from outlook express the only other similar icon I've observed is in Internet Explorer when an HTML page isnt processed correctly (parsed) and has errors. The page will load and then a yellow icon shows but bottom left of the IE page (usually says something like "done with errors") but this makes sense to me as OE & IE are part of the same thing.

**I have a sneeking feeling that this yellow icon is just an OE setting that is checked or enabled but its probably one of those things that are hidden away somewhere in the program.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
Patch
Grafter

I think you also get a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark when windows is performing and windows update? But in this case I think clicking on it brings up details of the update, so maybe not much use here.

Patch