cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yahoo, Msn messenger or iChat?

N/A

I use a Mac and I would like to set up a webcam(isight) so that I can communicate with my friends online seeing each other. Which one of the three should I set up an account with?

What are the pros and cons of the three?

I know MSN messenger does not support video cam at this stage so it rules itself out of the running really on that alone.

Cheers.

Derek
9 REPLIES
CJC1942
Grafter

Internet Messenger 6.2 does supprt webcams. I've given up trying to use the audio bit, spent hours trying all sorts but cannot get connected. Tried Skype and straight in first time on audio, but that doesn't support webcams yet!!
lowry
Grafter

It is a bit of a round-the-houses approach but you could always use MSN Messenger and Microsoft NetMeeting. MSN for the instant messaging and NetMeeting for the audio/visual side.

Yahoo! Messenger is supposed to be good for webcam/audio and I know a fe wpeople who happily use it. I have had trouble with audio in MSN before but the thing to do is if both participants in the conversation have Windows XP then start a video conference (found in tools menu I think). Remember to use the audio/video tuning wizard before hand to select the appropriate devices to be used.

matt Wink
N/A

Being the pedant I am, it's not in the Tools menu; it's in...

Actions>Audio/Video>Start Video Conferencing...

Wink
lowry
Grafter

Cheers! Wink

matt Wink
N/A

Re: Yahoo, Msn messenger or iChat?

I use a Mac and I would like to set up a webcam(isight) so that I can communicate with my friends online seeing each other. Which one of the three should I set up an account with?

As a Mac user myself I have gone through this process.Are you planning on talking to other Mac users or Windows users?

If the former then I would stick with iChat.However if it is a Windows user then i would suggest that you stick again with iChat and ask them to use the latest AOL Instant Messenger which provided they have a broadband connection works (in my experience) pretty well;as I believe both iChat and AIM use the same server.Before my sister had her broadband connection we tried Yahoo but found video quality to be a little on the jerky side,We tried yahoo because when she was using AIM; iChat just did not want to know the dial up connection as the lowest bandwidth setting for iChat and iSight is 100Kbps which of course plays havoc with a 56k dial up.

I am afraid as Mac users our choices are somewhat limited,but the combination of iChat and iSight is a very good combination.Well worth persevering with.If you wish to test it; PM me and we can perhaps sort something out.

Hope that helps a bit

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

N/A

http://www.eyeballchat.com/

Good programme no doubt about it: trouble is it lists as it's requirements Microsoft Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP, and unless I have missed something is not "Mac" compatable at the moment.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

MS Messenger 6.2 does support Audio & Video conferencing, My three colleages and I have had loads of troube getting it all to work. Look at the online help althouigh I think XP+ SP2 improved the situation and all is working fine through XP Firewall and a NATS Firewall. Its brilliant when U get it working! Good luck :lol:
N/A

MS Messenger 6.2 does support Audio & Video conferencing, My three colleages and I have had loads of troube getting it all to work. Look at the online help althouigh I think XP+ SP2 improved the situation and all is working fine through XP Firewall and a NATS Firewall. Its brilliant when U get it working! Good luck :lol: