cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP2500 too hot

zpeterk
Grafter

XP2500 too hot

I have a xp2500 Barton on a K7N8x deluxe in big case with 4 fans and with grid running all the time it's getting a bit hot (57°C). At the moment it has the original retail heatsink and fan, can any recommend one to keep it cooler - good enough to up the bus speed to 200. )

Thanks

[Moderator note by acarr (Phil) : Removed accidental duplicate posting]
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

XP2500 too hot

Hmmm many things to suggest:

- How are the 4 case fans configured: I.e. where are they located and do they suck air into the case or out (say which does which). The prefered method is suck air in at the front and blow air out at the back. If you have 4 fans, 2 should suck air in and 2 blow air out.

- You need to invest is some good thermal paste. The best is arctic silver III or V. First clean off any existing paste/thermal pads from current processor and heatsink (I find meths does the business). Next put a very thin layer of compound on the processor die and then fit the heatsink. I put a small blob in the middle of the die then using a finger in a plastic sandwich bad spread the compund evenly over the surface. There is no need to put any compound on the heatsink but make sure it is very clean. Best results should be achieved in 3 -> 4 days.

- Make sure all current fans and the heatsink is clean. I use a paint brush and cotton buds to clean the fan blades and a paint brush to clean the CPU heatsink. Always replace the thermal grease when you remove your heatsink.

- For a replacement heatsink, I use the coolermaster Aero 7+ (not the Aero 4+ which is designed for P4 processors). This has a variable fan control and I can keep my XP2800+ O/C to 2.3GHz and under 50C full load with UD running. This is hard to find now as it's been replaced by a far inferior model.

For more info on heatsinks, try the various overclocking websites or www.tomshardware.com which have many reviews of heatsinks.

Finally, it is possible your case cannot cool things down anymore due to bad/lack of air circulation. Adjusting the fans may improve this, as can reducing the number you have or relocating them if possible.
zpeterk
Grafter

XP2500 too hot

Thanks Peter

Front fans blow in across hdds and rear blow out, heat sink and fan are free of dirt and some weeks ago I refitted with arctic lll after removing the orginal pad, - looks like I'd better get an aero 7+
N/A

XP2500 too hot

Go for the Thermalright XP120 heatsink. It's "The Daddy" of aircooling and knocks all other heatsinks for six.

You'll only get better performance than this if you go for watercooling.

Available here.
N/A

XP2500 too hot

Yup go for water cooling that’s what I had to do to get my XP2500 running sweet. It does cost a bit more than normal fan coolers but what a difference. I plan to get all my chips water cooled i.e. Northbridge and VGA, but seriously go for watercooling you’ll be amazed. Cheesy
Firejack
Grafter

XP2500 too hot

I'm using a AXP2500+@2.07 GHz on an A7N8X. Currently its running at 58C... I've had it up to 67C without any problems (during a rare hot day in the summer).

Its a curious thing the temperature of my CPU. When I first mounted the Heat sink (Coolermaster Aero 7+ using some Arctic Silver 3) the temperature was 48C. This lasted for around a week then the temperature began to rise.
I took the heat sink off, cleaned the CPU with some cotton buds and Akasa TIM cleaner. After putting the heatsink and cooling paste back on it was 44C. But once again the temperature began to raise steadily. I took the heat sink off and this time noticed the AS3 appeared to of evaporated. :roll:
I reapplied the paste again and left it for a week. Then sure enough the temperature of my CPU shot up to its steady 58C I get on a cool day.

Does AS3 have a best before date? I'm thinking its somehow separated in the tube and no longer is the right consistency to form and effective bond between heat sink and CPU. The tube of AS3 is 18 months old now.

Posted this on several other forums and never found an answer.
Community Veteran

XP2500 too hot

I am still using some AS3 which is about 2 years old and it still performs exactly as I first used it so I don't think it's a problem with shelf life or degradation.

Are you sure you do actually have Arctic Silver III, there is a product called Artic (no c after r) silver III which is a far inferior product and often mistaken/sold as the real thing.

I'm using the same mobo and heatsink and AS3 on an XP2800+ overclocked to 2.3GHz (normal is 2GHz) and at full load (running my grid DC project 24/7) don't go above 50C and the fan speed control is about half way.

What are you using to show your temps? I'm using Motherboard monitor 5 and showing the CPU die temps @ 50C, CPU socket temps @46C. Case temps @ 23C and ambient (room) @ 24C.

Can't really suggest what to do other than try getting some more paste (AS5) and see if it makes any difference. Note: internal case temps can effect CPU cooling, even with the best cooler being used.
Firejack
Grafter

XP2500 too hot

Are you sure you do actually have Arctic Silver III
Yes, I've just checked the name on the side of the tube. Bought it from Aria.co.uk

What are you using to show your temps?
With the speed controller about two-thirds towards full speed and using EVEREST (AIDA32) I'm getting;
CPU Diode = 58C (55C in BIOS)
Motherboard CPU Socket = 41C
Case = 23C
Room = 21C

Can't understand why mine should be so much hotter then yours. Its a bit of a mystery.

Just looked at my other computer with an identical AXP2500+. Its 52C with the same AS3 inside a shuttle barebone system :?

There is one odd thing about my Heat Sink I should mention. The base is very polished. It arrived like this. There is no roughness at all. Its very smooth to touch.
zpeterk
Grafter

XP2500 too hot

Aero 7+ on now with xp2500 running at 2.2Ghz running UD with a temp of 36°C
the_norris
Grafter

XP2500 too hot

Could any one recommend a good and quiet 12cm fan with a 3pin connector (speed sense)?

Got the same issue with my AMD64 3200. Changed the CPU heatsink from the stock cooling - that made a big difference.

I think its just the case cooling now - as if I run the PC with out the side cover on the temps drop by 2C.

Phil
Community Veteran

XP2500 too hot

There is one odd thing about my Heat Sink I should mention. The base is very polished. It arrived like this. There is no roughness at all. Its very smooth to touch.

A highly polished heatsink is what everyone is after as it gives better heat transfer. The thermal grease is actually their to fill in roughness/groves of a heatsink to try and get better heat transfer and the more of the heatsink in contact with the top of the processor the better. Also the more grease between the cpu and heatsink the worse the heat transfer and effeciency of the heatsink is. This is why a very thin layer of grease is the optimum and putting too much on can have a negative effect on temps.

Now none of the above actually helps your situation except maybe try putting a bit more paste on than you are to see if it makes any difference as it should not be evapourating.
N/A

XP2500 too hot

Be careful though as you don't want to apply too much.
holdtight
Grafter

XP2500 too hot

you could also just check your v core voltage just to make sure its not whacked up too high
Rich
Grafter

XP2500 too hot

Also may be worth reducing Vcore if possible - but only so far as system remains stable - I reduced system temp on Duron 1300 by > 5Centrigrade - the system no longer crashes Cheesy

Richard