cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP won't open new browser window?

N/A

Using XP Pro, IE6 SP1.
I installed an XP upgrade and Zone Alarm patch when I was notified last week and all of a sudden, anytime I click a link which tries to open in a new browser window (or Rt click and choose open-in-new-window) the new window just hangs. I've tried closing down Zone Alarm and also switching to "allow Pop-ups" on Google toolbar but makes no difference.

Any one with a bright ideas what the problem is or how to find a solution?

Cheers
Simon Cry
4 REPLIES
N/A

Open Notepad and type the following ...

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Save the file as anything.cmd (where anything is what you want to call it) and then run it. Click OK for each DLL file and Bob's yer Uncle!!
N/A

Although there is no reason to doubt you, this is playing with the internals of windows slightly.

SO there are two things I have to say

1: Make sure you make a system restore point. You don't want to be stuck with having to reinstall afterwords.

2: What was the source of that handy tip?
N/A

I'm sure I just did a Google search one day when I was having the same problem as calverly.
N/A

Thanks for the advice. However, I discovered the "System Restore" feature in XP and it seems to have worked. I went back to before the last XP and ZoneAlarm security updates and everything is back to normal. It also reminded me I installed a demo version of something (just for an evening and then uninstalled as it was unsuitable) so maybe it was that.

Simon Cheesy