cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP will not talk to ME

N/A

XP will not talk to ME

I have a wireless network with a 3com ADSL modem/router. Both my XP Home PC and my Dell ME machine can access the internet, browse and search download etc..
I am trying to get them to talk to each other as well so that they can share printers and folders. I have tried the various wizards who all tell me that networking is enabled.
However the XP machine sees the ME machine but says that the XP machine has not got the access rights. The ME machine does not even see the XP machine.
Is there a good readable document somewhere that I could try to read which would cover this?
3 REPLIES
N/A

XP will not talk to ME

Make sure they all have file and print shareing enabled. Share a folder on each machine and set it to evceryone having full control and full access.I am assuming you can ping each pc from the others ok?

The trick is to ensure that all the pc's have the same username and password and they are admins. Be sure to login to each pc the with the same password etc. That will normaly cure it. When you try and connect it checks your username and password and looks to see if you have admin rights on the local pc. If you do it lets you in if it doesnt match it says go away.

There are ways around it being different but its a simple solution you seek
N/A

XP will not talk to ME

I have found that my software Firewall Zonealarm was stopping the computers talking. Once I put in the WLAN addresses as 'Trusted' everything worked OK.

Embolded by this I tried to put my wife's XP Home machine on and nothing sees that machine at all. I think that your suggestion of user names and access rights will be of great help there as the login names are definetly different.

Thanks

By thye way how do you ping the machines on the network?
Community Veteran

XP will not talk to ME

You bring up a dos/cmd window (start->run->enter cmd) and use the command ping with an IP address. e.g. ping 192.168.0.10