cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP start up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

XP start up

In previous versions of Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000 etc. there was a folder caller the "start up folder" where applications and software that load automatically at boot can be switched off (or on if required at boot) I'm pretty sure it exists in XP, but I dammed if I can find it...anybody help please?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

XP start up

In my XP Home SP2 it's START/ALL PROGRAMS/STARTUP or START/PROGRAMS/STARTUP depending whether you have "Classic" style switched on or not (right-click on START to select)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

XP start up

Best place to start is to right click on the start button and select explore all users.
In the all users menu there is Programs and a sub menu called Startup.
However an awful lot of programs don't use that so they are not listed.
The only way to stop them starting (unless the program setting allow you to change it) is to use Start Run then type msconfig which will allow you to stop programs starting
N/A

XP start up

This depends on the Start Menu you are using- XP redesigned the Start Menu for fast access to frequently used programs, whilst retaining the "legacy" Start Menu as an option for those who prefer it.

Click here for a tutorial on how to change between these.

On the XP Start Menu you will need to click "Start -> All Programs -> Startup"

On the Classic Start Menu you will need to click "Start -> Programs -> Startup"

I should point out though that only a handful of programmes will place themselves in this folder, and it's generally only used for users themselves to automatically start a program on boot.

If you want to prevent programs from loading on boot when they have configured themselves to do so (which is surprisingly common) you should use "msconfig" from the "Run" command on the Start Menu.
See here for a tutorial.
Community Veteran

XP start up

Thanks guys, easy when you know where to find it! however all are quite right compared to the number of programmes available the start menu hardly skims the top off, however, it does contain the biggest of the lot: Office XP, which maybe surprisingly I don't use much nowadays (used to a lot) so do I simply delete it from it's right click menu, or will that do disasterous things to it elsewhere.

I noticed in Office right click menu there is an option to "pin to start" can you explain what this actually means please?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

XP start up

I don't use MS Office (abandoned in favour of OpenOffice) so can't help with pinning (try "Help" ?).
You can merrily delete the shortcut, but of course it won't uninstall Office, for which you will need to goto the control panel and add/remove programs
Community Veteran

XP start up

Thanks again paulh, Help tells me the "pin to start" refers the list of programmes shown above the start button when pressed, so not much help there...yup! should have realised what would happen if "delete" was pressed.

N/A

XP start up

As has been stated you can safely delete the shortcut from the startup folder.

Pin to Start Menu creates permanent icons on the XP Start Menu. As the help file says icons appear in the area above the frequently used program shortcuts. As you say you don't use Office all that often I'd leave that one unticked.
N/A

XP start up

Forget about the start menu try this free prog
http://www.launchy.net/

you simply press alt + space and start typing the prog you want and instantly it pops up and your away. Its simple, free and saves looking at a the start menu trying to find what you want