Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP-remote assistance

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

XP-remote assistance

Just set up a new pc (exactly the same as mine) for my father in law & thought he may benefit from the remote assitance feature when he runs into problems (as he often does!) He is able to open the remote assitance without a hitch however on my pc a click on the shortcut does not start the application. Ive checked in program access etc to see if i need to install any thing else but cannot see anything obvious, so i guess its me that needs the assistance now !! :?

Any ideas appreciated.

thanks,

RIch
5 REPLIES
N/A

XP-remote assistance

what happens if you dont use the shortcut. but use the real destination?
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

XP-remote assistance

Clicking on the main file or the shortcut both have no effect on starting the application. As long as my father-in-law can request assitance from myself & i can accept then im not unduly worried, its just one of those annoying things that now ive spotted i would like to resolve............
N/A

XP-remote assistance

I'm trying to convince PN that there is a problem connecting to my home network using Remote Assistance (also Remote Desktop Connection).

It has worked sporadically in the past but now refuses point blank. The interesting thing is that I cannot ping my home network either. Here's the current state of play with the support ticket.

Open :  [Support Wizard Journey]

[Technical query]
[Other]
[Customer couldn't find a wizard option for his query please review the need to change the wizard]
[Additional Information]
XP Remote Assistance

I'm having difficulty getting Remote Assistance to work.

I have enabled it on my PC and have open up the port (3389) in my firewall and forwarded it on to my XP box. The Remote Assistance request file has been correctly configured with my external IP address.

However when a 'helper' attempts to connect to my computer the operation usually times out.

It is also interesting to note that when the connection does work, my current plusnet IP address is 'pingable' but when the connection fails, a ping will recieve a timeout.

------------
2006-03-31
06:03:28
CSC Agent
Unfortunatly there is little advise we can offer regarding the setup of this service other than to advise to follow the guide found at http://www.portforward.com as this is outside of our remit and we do not offer help for configuring 3rd party software.
There is however nothing which would block this over our network.

Kind Regards,

------------
2006-03-31
06:44:48
You

>we do not offer help for configuring 3rd party software.

I do not need help in setting up the service, I am quite au fait with that sort of thing.

> There is however nothing which would block this over our network.

In which case please explain why my plusnet address will sometimes work with this service (and also be 'ping'-able) but mostly will not. (and this is from more than one ISP)

There ae no changes made at my home network (e.g. firewall configuration) between working and not-working occasions.

------------
2006-03-31
14:57:22
CSC Agent
As already discussed, we cannot offer support on 3rd party software.

You would need to speak to whomever makes the software for assitance on this issue.

Regards,

------------
2006-03-31
15:03:32
You

>You would need to speak to whomever makes the software for assitance on this issue.

OK, ignore for the moment that Microsoft Windows XP Remote Assistance is not working all the time.

Can you please explain why I regularly get 'time outs' when I PING my home PC (switched on and operating) address from another network?

If you can fix the PING issue then the Remote Assistance should follow on because the remote assistance works when the Ping works

Am I being too obtuse or have they really failed to grasp the fact that i don't think the problem is with Remote Assistance and is down to something a bit more flaky with the PN network... ?
N/A

XP-remote assistance

some of the problems and the setup. The one trying to connect to help. Must let RD through its own firewall and you connect to the static ip(it must be static) of the router at the other end. The pc your trying to connect to must have a fixed IP and the ports must be forwarded to that pc.

The firewall on the router and the pc must allow RD in. RD must be enabled in the control panel. It sometimes it is better to install the client from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

as this often solves the problem.

A full tutor is here

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx
N/A

XP-remote assistance

I added a different portforward rule to my firewall (port 223 now forwards on to 3389, and I can edit the remote assistance request file so that it looks to 223).

And this seems to work. Interestingly enough my network is now responding to pings, so I don't know if this is a result of the firewall reconfiguring its iptables with the new port forward or something else shaking up in the elsewhere in the network.

Anyway, for the time being, I should be able to use RA to help my wife with the PC whilst I'm at work

I won't close the ticket just yet because this may just be one of the intermittent 'working times' that I have experienced in the past.