cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP pro or home

N/A

XP pro or home

I'm just making a new pc and wondered what you get extra in the pro version for the extra £50 and is it worth it?
14 REPLIES
N/A

XP pro or home

Quite a lot actually, and certainly worth the extra dosh IMHO. However, it depends what you will use your computer for, I suppose.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
N/A

XP pro or home

Hi there,

IMHO for normal home use and even home networking XPhome is sufficient for 90% of home users.

XP Pro has additional networking protocols for domain networks and some additional admin tools which wont be required in most home setups.

Unless you require the additional features Pro may not be worth the extra cash.

Regards

Mark
N/A

XP pro or home

it depends if you never plan to use a network then home should do but if you ever plan to network get pro as it will save so many headaches.
Community Veteran

XP pro or home

XPhome is fine with networking, your don't need to buy XPPro for this.

XPPro also gives you multi-processor support but this and the additional security features (whch can make administering a PC more complex) are not required for a normal home single PC or multiple PC network.

XPPro is designed for office based networked PCs where remote admin and the additional security facilities are needed and is not worth the extra expense to use at home.
Community Veteran

XP pro or home

Yes I can endorse Peters comments above.
I have a network of 4 machines at home and 2 of them use XP home with no trouble whatsoever.
Community Veteran

XP pro or home

I too agree with Peter's comments. Pro isn't worth the extra expense for 90% of home users.

I use Pro at home (I was able to organise licences at a low cost), but I've also used home with no problems what so ever.

Chris
N/A

XP pro or home

home is awful.. it sucks at everything and has cut down options such as "use simple file sharing" i mean WHY DO U WANNA USE THIS!!! but wait.. in home u cant turn it off... and so many other annoyances... use PRO and u will get the full XP with no cut downs or small "tweaks" that MS think is appropriate to use when selling an OS to the "home". Also Pro is more stable than home Wink so spend that £50 and you wont regret it.. then u can laugh at all those ppl that have home.

buz
N/A

XP pro or home

Pro is no more stable than Home. Have you got any proof of that?

Lets look at what you commented on. Simple file sharing. Why on earth do you need advanced file sharing in XP home?

You can't join a domain in the same way you can in Pro, so the advanced interface provide no benefit what so ever.

The so called tweaks of Home have been proven as a requirement for some of the missing elements.

In honesty, I found Pro to be nothing more than a money hongry monster of Home, when not used in a domain environment.
lowry
Grafter

XP pro or home

I think that Windows XP Home Edition would be fine for home users, even those with networks. I have been using it for a year and a half, and not once have I seen a blue screen or noticed any instability in the operating system. I think that for professionals, and for business networks XP Professional should probably be deployed as one of its main advantages, according to Microsoft, over the Home edition is its networking capabilities. The average home user's network is not going to be that complicated though so they won't really need it and would be fine with the Home edition of XP.

Microsoft really should consider dropping their prices, even ever so slightly. I was looking at boxed copies of Microsoft Office 2003 online at PC World's website (they are not the cheapest, but it gives you an idea of average price) and saw that the professional version has a price tag a shade under £450. XP Professional seems to have a similar problem, it has a £270 price tag (or thereabouts) for a full boxed version - which despite its extra features over Home seems a bit high to me.

matt Wink
N/A

XP pro or home

aye xphome should be fine, been running it on the laptop fine for almost 2 years now, xppro on the pc, but only coz I work for a computer company and can get it cheap Cheesy do I use all the features....err...no.... boot it up, run the programs etc that I need and thats it...

retail boxed versions.... thats how they make their money, via bloated costs Smiley get an oem version, quite a few places sell em, however, as it is oem, companies are not allowed by microsoft to sell them on it's own, some companies like CCL Computers Ltd say that you need to buy either a hard drive, motherboard or processor to qualify for oem software, or places like Simply, who in the recent catalog they sent me say that you can buy a cpu cooler and qualify for oem software.

the difference? retail boxed versions are intended for the general public, whereas oem are intended to be used by system builders, and to be sold part of a system. with oem you won't get the fancy packaging, you still get the cd, the license key, and quick start guide. I think approx £270 was quoted for XP Pro Retail, the oem version should be around £95-100, plus the cost of whatever you need to buy to qualify. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think with oem windows, you need to speak to where ever you bout it for support, microsoft will do it but charge ya, and with the retail, they give you limited support for a certain amount of times or period.

so lets say....
40Gb hard drive approx £35
xp pro oem approx £95

your saving about £140......spend that on beer Smiley

home oem is like £60, and the retail is £140?
N/A

XP pro or home

I prefer Professional, got copies of it installed on each of my computers, I don't like Home, because its green, Blue is better Smiley Thats why I chose Professional, to be very honest!
N/A

XP pro or home

home : cut down version of XP.. why use a cut down version of anything, either use the full product.. or use a differnent product all together. and home is less stable that pro.. just google and u will see that.

buz
N/A

XP pro or home

I have done, and found no concrete evidance, only speculation.

The only bits I could see, where people comparing one system with Home, and a seperate one with Pro. Not exactly an unbiased test, when you use seperate hardware.
N/A

XP pro or home

Home is good for most home users, the extra features are not worth the extra money for a home user and often are not needed.

I would disagree that it's not a full package, it a different version. I have both versions on a number of my pc's and I've not found Home to be any more "buggy" that Pro.

Aaron