Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP or server

zpeterk
Grafter

XP or server

Thank you all for your help with my previous questions

Is there a definative point where you can say where a network should have server software instead of ptp
7 REPLIES
N/A

XP or server

The point behind a server is you log in to the server not the local pc. This means which ever pc you use you get all your setting. You only have to set up the username once not on every pc. You can enforce policies to control what users can do. It is all administered from one point.
Normal you are looking at 10 or more users to make it worth while.

The only other key point is you can force users to save data on the server so it can be backed up. If its on each pc it will never get backed up
zpeterk
Grafter

XP or server

Is there a increase in performance on a database program with say four full time users and may be a couple of part time users if you upgrade to server
N/A

XP or server

It would depend on the hardware. Most databases need very good hardware that is if its a big database. Your looking at possibly twin processors and 2 gig ram with high speed Scussi disk. Its hard to say without knowing how big the databse is and how much use it will get.
michaelscott
Grafter

XP or server

The system you specified would only be necessary for a HUGE database Smiley
N/A

XP or server

AS I said not knowing details of the database its hard to say but as hardware is so cheap The specs are the basic server running SQL giving you good performance. We have 174 SQL servers at work and its our minimum spec.

If its a small database with 5 users then its over specked but I did say further back it for more than 10 users
zpeterk
Grafter

XP or server

The ACT! database is around 35 Mb with up to five users. It is stored on a PIIII 2.8 Prescott with 512 RAM running XP Pro what would give a performance increase?
michaelscott
Grafter

XP or server

A 35Mb database is tiny and will run on any machine you decide to put it on