cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP freezing with wireless card

N/A

Hi all
It seems to be a week for problems here. I have been using a Buffalo Air Station G54 card in my Medion laptop. For the last couple of days XP has been freezing up frequently (tonight i have had to pull the plug to unfreeze 9 times!) I believe it must be something i have done for it to suddenly start happening, i have had the card running since monday without this happening. I have resorted to a complete system restore this evening hoping that would fix the problem but this hasn't worked. My laptop runs perfectly when i connect to my router using the LAN cable but as soon as the card goes in the whole machine freezes. Nothing will unfreeze other than pulling the plug. I hope some one can help with this. Come on guys n gals, what am i to do? Cheesy
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for the wireless card?

Have you installed any new software since last monday - if so it may have introduced a conflict with the wireless drivers or WIndows itself.

Are you running any virus software or firewall. If so, try with them disabled/uninstalled.

Have you tried tweaking the config (if it's possible) - i.e. try without WEP etc. Have you also tried reconfiguring your router in case it's the connection that the wireless card does not like.

It is possible that your card has developed a fault as it is so new.
N/A

Hi
Thanks for your advice, i will work through each suggestion to see if anything helps. As for for my cross board posting, i appologies if i have broken protocol,
Many thanks again, i will let you know if anything works.
Cheers
Gary
N/A

Hi again
Tried everything you suggested, no joy. I performed a complete reinstall of windows yesterday and this made no difference. It was a version of XP that my laptop manu' supplied, so i will now try and install the normal XP software. Strange tho that this should just start, even if i did add new software that was causing a conflict, surely a wipe would cancel this? I will post again in a while after ive performed my reinstall.
Oh! My partner used the wireless card in another laptop and was surfing the net for 2 uninterupted hours without any freezing, so it aint the card.
Wish me luck. Sad
Gary
N/A

Well, 2 more reinstalls down the line and im still freezing. I have just uninstalled Power Management which i have a feeling might be at conflict with the wireless card. When i do a basic install of XP everything seems to be ok, but as soon as i install the Medion XP software(this has the drivers and extras) things go wrong. To be honest im losing interest and i might just connect with a wire and flog the card. eBay here i come!!!!
N/A

The card/card software may be incompatible with XP or other drivers on your system. This is mainly any IRQ's that are assigned and may be in conflict with other resources. The driver may assign an IRQ that is in conflict with another device that does not allow IRQ sharing.
Check the IRQ's assigned in device manager.
N/A

Hi
Thanks for the post. I'll try and investigate the IRQ theory, im not sure what or where they are but i will have a look around and try and sort it out.
Thanks
Gary
N/A

For IRQ's
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager ->
-> View -> resources by connection -> Interupt Request (IRQ)

Note which device uses which IRQ. It is common for multiple devices to use IRQ 9, 10 and 11. However, all these devices and their drivers must be capable of IRQ sharing. If they are not, the PC will lock.
The accessory slot in which the card is, may also have a driver. This could be the problem and not the wireless card itself.

If it is a IRQ conflict. there is little you can do with XP, apart from disable the device or disable other devices using the same IRQ (which means you might as well get rid of it)

Of course, if your PC is locked, you won't be able to view which IRQ is in use.
Have you got a LAN card built into the laptop ?? Try disabling that (preferably in teh BIOS) as it could be the conflict.
N/A

Hi again
Thanks for that, i will have a good root round after work and see if i can spot anything.
I will let you know.
Cheers
Gary
N/A

Hi
Just checked the IRQ and i found that PCI16 has my wireless card+dial up modem+Generic cardbus controller. Is this usual for up to 3 items to share an IRQ?
Cheers
Gary
Community Veteran

yes, as long as the drivers for each device support sharing IRQs (which most do).

Due to the limited number of IRQs and the equipment that needs them they have to be shared and this is often double or triple shared in extream cases.

If you have PCI cards, try moving them to other slots as this will sometimes alter the IRQ allocations.

Also disable any devices in the BIOS like 2nd serial ports which will free up IRQs to be used by the other devices.
N/A

As it is a laptop, you will not be able to move "cards around". The generic cardbus is where you have the wireless card installed. It is common for the bus and the card to have the same IRQ.
The dail-up modem and wireless card on the same IRQ could be the problem. Not from the point of IRQ sharing, but both being I/O devices. Can you disable the dialup modem in the BIOS Huh
N/A

Hi
Not sure about doing it in the BIOS, but i think it can be diabled in network conections? I will have a look and get back to you.
Many thanks
Gary
Community Veteran

It really has to be disabled in the BIOS so it does not allocate an IRQ to it. Disabling it in windows will not stop the IRQ being used because the device still exists as far as windows is concerned so it must allocate resources for it.
N/A

Hi
Ok i will have a look. So far tho i havent frozen for 2 days. I shouldnt temp fate should i by saying that? lol
Another theory i have is that i had my laptop on my lap or sofa and the fan on the bottom was restricted. I have since made sure that there is space beneath it. The thing is, i have tried so many things i am not sure which one might (i say might) have cured it.
I will look in the BIOS tho, it cant hurt, and i will let you know how i get on.
Again thanks for all the help from everyone.
Gary Cheesy