cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP forgetful?

N/A

XP forgetful?

Anyone else had XP forget ti had partitions on another HD. It's only taken me 2 days to sort it out. When I first discovered it the drive (according to XP) was unallocated space. Seeing as thats the drive I use to edit my DV videos on you can imagine my horror at losing about 100gb of data.

After much messing about with various demo recovery progs and PM8 (which said the devices had been dismounted incorectly) I happend to just change to the drives within DOS and could list the files. All I needed to do was reinstall XP and it found the partitions and rebuilt some indexes. One of my workmates has suggested that I should invest in a tape drive to do backups, think he might be right.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: XP forgetful?

One of my workmates has suggested that I should invest in a tape drive to do backups, think he might be right.

You would be far better off with a DVD rewriter for your backups rather than a tape Smiley

I have my whole PC backed up on a few DVD's as you can get over 4GB on just one of them.
Midville
Grafter

XP forgetful?

Or even 8.5 GB for only a couple of quid a disc if your drive burns DL............ burning them to DVD is the way forward. Tape is handy but the cost of drive and cheap media of DVD surley outweights 'tape'.
N/A

XP forgetful?

I do have a DVD writer, I dont cherish having to burn 25+ discs at 20 mins a go
N/A

Re: XP forgetful?

You would be far better off with a DVD rewriter for your backups rather than a tape Smiley

I have my whole PC backed up on a few DVD's as you can get over 4GB on just one of them.

John, the poor guy was talking about 100GB of data... 25 DVD's for just his dv drive, so you can probably add another 4 or 5 on for his primary drive... 30DVD is rather alot of diskswapping and time Sad
Community Veteran

XP forgetful?

The other option then is just to copy them to another PC networked to the one that has the files on.
Thats what I do with all my digital photo's so if one machine goes for the chop then have them on a second PC Cheesy
Community Veteran

XP forgetful?

Cheapest, most pain free solution to backups for my self was a removable drive bay and an extra two, big hard drives Smiley

I remove the drives and store them when finished backing up session!

I use Ghost image for whole system, along with a straight copy for some other data files that I may want to access easily!
MarkAngel
Grafter

XP forgetful?

It's no good with Movies but if you have loads of Photo's you can store them on :

http://www.fotki.com

There is a small fee $20 or somthing like that and you have (allegedly) unlimited storage!!!

Mark
N/A

XP forgetful?

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10281486&pid=45&...

300Gb for £97

Why go external or network to another PC? Install another drive inside or use a removable as seventhstar suggests.
N/A

XP forgetful?

adding more HD's is a good option, on my old system I had built in RAID which I used in striped mode for speed. As HD's are so cheap these days I might invest in a RAID card and run them in mirrored at least I'd have some redundancy that way Smiley