cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP activation, did Microsoft ever really check?

N/A

Just to see what would happen I activated the same copy of XP on two different PC's at the same time, they both share the same connection via a router.
Bill didn't seem to mind, both activated and passed the genuine Windows test thingy that you come across on the Windows update site, both updated perfectly with SP2 and all the other gubbins.
I'm going to do the same with two more PC's and see what happens.
I've had the software since 2001and it's been on many and completely different PC's although never at the same time before, and not once have I been refused activation, despite all thats been written about PC component checking formulas that are supposed to take place.
I wonder if it's just a myth, or perhaps Microsoft no longer keep a database?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I know once I tried to install office xp on two machines failed to activate on the second and mucked it up big time!
N/A

I heard that Microsoft delete the Activation database every month or so, it's just too big (but that could also be another urban myth). Cool
N/A

A gang of hackers flooded MS with false activation to corrupt the database maybe that did it
N/A

umm

My hazy recollection is that MS have a new policy w.r.t. to activations of retail XP Pro/Home. What I recall is that they(MS) will allow 4 activations on widly different hardware per year( or was it month or 6 months or bah i forget!)

This was needed as a lot of power users had legitimate reasons to install their same XP Pro/Home Os on to the new PC they built up after scavenging parts of the old one.

I though this was nice of MS, since it means one can upgrade your existing PC and then use the same OS on the new PC.
craigbrass
Grafter

They don't check it at all and even if they find sombody with an illigal copy, they can't do ANYTHING about it because of their policy on personally identifyable information lol.
N/A

There plenty of people about using pirate copies, but most of them use a 25 digit code from a small and well known list. You can't get SP2 with these copies as they don't get past the genuine windows check thingy, but no doubt there is a way.
Which is why I activated my genuine copy on more than 1 PC? I don’t mind paying for one copy, but I don't feel obliged to pay for 4.
craigbrass
Grafter

Yea, but many people got SP2 by changing their serial to a less known one. Microsoft will never win the fight against priacy you know. I heard 35% is pirated.
N/A

Microsoft has recently updated windows/microsoft update so that invalid CD-Keys (Yes, even CD-Keys with 640 in the PID you dirty pirate :-)), unfortunately this was cracked within 24h:

1) Open IE
2) Click on Tools
3) Click on Internet options
4) Click to the Programs tab
5) Click on the Manage Add-ons button.
6) Select Windows Genuine Advantage
7) Click Disable
Cool now you can do Windows updates again.

Microsoft muck up again
N/A

Yep, but then they fixed it. There's a different work round now, which is a little more complex.

TBH they're never going to be able to 100% defeat the pirates, but they can makeit as difficult as possible for them.