cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP activation codes

Community Veteran

XP activation codes

Right, I've got 2 computers, both both with fully registered OEM copies of XP Pro.

I've got the discs and the keys, however I don't know which one belongs to which PC (I didnt stick the stickers on the sides of the machines).

I need to reistall one of them and probably the other as well at some point. Any idea on how to find which product key belongs to which machine?

Chris
17 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

XP activation codes

Community Veteran

XP activation codes

Well thats pretty impressive.

I have tried to find the code by searching the registry but it must be encoded as even though I new the code it wouldnt show up.

But the jelly been thing finds it no problem Cheesy
Community Veteran

XP activation codes

Thanks Dave. Turns out I used another code on one machine, even though I've got legit copies Shockedops:
N/A

XP activation codes

It shouldnt matter if you use the same keys any how, if you have a single IP hitting the MS update site they will not know its two boxes, nor will they really care if a key is being used by two people
the_norris
Grafter

XP activation codes

I don't think it matter too. At work all our PCs are build with the same keycode. Its that paper licence/with key code on paper is the important part. All our PC have a MS logo stick on the side of the base units with that PCs Keycode.
Community Veteran

XP activation codes

But when you come to activate after a re-install it will refuse if you have already used the code on another machine and activated that one.
Community Veteran

XP activation codes

That was the worry. Its all sorted now thanks the that software from Dave.

I agree with the licene thing though, in work I install all machines with the same office codes, but have enough licences for all of them.

Thanks,
Chris
Community Veteran

XP activation codes

Im not an expert by any means on the Microsoft licencing issues, but I think they must use a different block of codes for say an OEM licence where you are building one machine and a Multiple licence for a company that will have many machines.
But I can confirm that on every XP machine I have built then authenticated it won't let you authenticate it again on another machine.
You can install with no problems but not authenticate.
N/A

XP activation codes

AFAIK, Magic Jelly bean uses the same type of algorithm as XP itself to calculate a valid key based on your hardware configuration. As this process is non-unique, it's quite possible that you'll end up with a different key from the one that came with your XP license-sticker, but that should still work to activate XP.

(This is all vaguely remembered from a recent Personal Computing World article).
Community Veteran

XP activation codes

The key it gives me is the the exact same one that I inputed from the sticker that came with my disk and so its finding the correct one on this occasion.
Ill check on another machine that I know the correct code for and see what that gives.
Community Veteran

XP activation codes

Ok tried a second machine and the code it gives is again the exact one that came with the disk that was used for that machine so I think you can throw the hardware algorithm theory out of the window.
N/A

XP activation codes

Im not an expert by any means on the Microsoft licencing issues, but I think they must use a different block of codes for say an OEM licence where you are building one machine and a Multiple licence for a company that will have many machines.
But I can confirm that on every XP machine I have built then authenticated it won't let you authenticate it again on another machine.
You can install with no problems but not authenticate.

Yes this is true there are different codes for OEM, retail and volume license versions of XP. It is possible to change the type of product key an XP install disk accepts but it will always stick to the following activation rules.

Retails copies are permitted so many online activations before you must call M$, OEMs will activate multiple times but i think only on 1 machine, and volume license copies do not require activation.
the_norris
Grafter

XP activation codes

Think that right with the type of licences.

We use the Select licence and disks.
N/A

XP activation codes

Both Select and Open license aggreements use the same volume license keys or VLK's