cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Updates

N/A

XP Updates

When I download the various Windows Updates from time to time, and install them, is there a way to keep these updates as files and hand them over to a friend with a much slower Internet connection? It would appear that after installation, they vanish except for the uninstall routines.

Often they are quite big, and not everyone has Broadband!
6 REPLIES
N/A

XP Updates

There are two things you can do here. I advise a little of both, as time goes on.

1: Obtain yourself a free security catch-up CD from microsoft.

This works on 98, 98se, 2K and XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/security/protect/update.mspx

2: In windows update, make a note of the ID number of any security patches you download and install.

Then in windows update, click "Personalize Windows Update" on the left

Tick "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See also" and save setting.

Now click "Windows Update Catalogue" on the left.

You can now perform searches and download the patches manualy, to burn to disk.
N/A

XP Updates

I just downloaded the lot. I know of some people who have ordered it and it can take a while to come through. Perhaps PC manufacturers could bundle there own copies with their wares.
N/A

XP Updates

I ordered 3 copies of the disk (only have 2 now), all where with me within 10 days.
N/A

XP Updates

I may order one myself then.
N/A

XP Updates

Thanks for the comprehensive and helpful replies.

It was fine when these updates were available on magazine cover discs - does Microsoft think everyone can get Broadband since they stopped making them available this way?
N/A

XP Updates

That was one of the most stupid decions they ever made. Saying that on www.updatexp.com there is a guide to download the latest version of IE6 to your hard disk to install anywhere. The page is here: http://www.updatexp.com/download-ie6.html

I've ordered one of their update CD's. Interesting to see if it's critical updates only or recommended updates are in there as well.

Moderators note (John) Quote removed as it was a complete repeat of the previous post and just not needed.