cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP System Restore

N/A

XP System Restore

On the System Restore tab of the System Properties on my computer, it says "Turn off System Restore (disabled by Group Policy)" - except it's not! The relevent policies are "Not Configured" and I've scanned the registry for "DisableSR" and they're all set to "0". Anyone got any ideas? Or had the same thing happen to them?? :?:
13 REPLIES
N/A

XP System Restore

You could try this if its there change it to 0

Method 3: Use Registry Editor to Disable System Restore
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
In Registry Editor, locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT

Under Windows NT, create a new key:
On the Edit menu, click New, and then click Key.
For the name of the new key, type SystemRestore.
Create a new DWORD value:
On the Edit menu, click New, and then click DWORD Value.
Double-click the new key to open the Edit DWORD Value dialog box.
Under Value name, type DisableConfig, under Value data, type 1, and then click OK.
N/A

XP System Restore

Ah, I think we're at angry dolphins. (cross porpoises, get it? - never mind). I want to be able to turn off system restore, but I am unable. That option is greyed out. It says disabled by Group Policy. But I haven't done that. Also, I've scanned for viruses and trojans, but nothing was found. I'm completely baffled.

Incidentally, I had already created those Keys and DWORD values and set them all to zero.
N/A

XP System Restore

If you click on 'Control Panel' then 'System' then 'System REstore' you can put a tick in a box to turn System Restore off. Worth a try.
Community Veteran

XP System Restore

dgdclynx,

The group policy in place (used by network admins to restrict what their employees can change on their PCs) is restricting access to that option so it cannot be changed.

Why the group policy is restricting it is what is trying to be determined here - I suspect in this case, there should be no group policy in place on this system.
N/A

XP System Restore

That is the part that he says won't let him change it.

The system item of the control panel is named "System properties"
N/A

XP System Restore

I am just unable to see a way around this dilemma. Oh well, I've been meaning to reformat and start again for a while now. Perhaps I'll wait until Service Pack 2 comes out. Cool
N/A

XP System Restore

This applies to XP Pro so not sure for XP Home.
Go to: Start - Run , enter ; 'gpedit.msc' (minus exclamation marks)
Go to : Computer config - Admin templates - System -
System restore and double click folder.
In right hand column this brings up two keys,
one is for system restore. When you double click you
will get the options, 'not configured', 'enabled' and 'disabled'.
It should usually be set to 'not configured' if the values are
greyed out open the second key labelled 'turn off configuration'
set this value to 'not configured' if this value is set to 'enabled'
then this disables the option to turn off System restore.
Alec
Community Veteran

XP System Restore

gpedit is XP Pro only.
N/A

XP System Restore

The reg hack I gave you turns it off if set to 1
Community Veteran

XP System Restore

You could also try X-Setup to play with the registry settings for system restore and lots of other things.
N/A

XP System Restore

I have XP Pro, and I've tried just about all of the above - regedit, security administrator, gpedit.msc, brute force and ignorance! Wink

Nothing seems to work. I'm downloading X-Setup as I write.

I apologise mwright, I misread your advice.
N/A

XP System Restore

This X-Setup proggy even allegedly DISABLES Group Policy, and yet I STILL cannot turn off System Restore. I think my only option now is to reformat and start again, which I intended to at some point anyway. Thanks for all your suggestions, peeps. Cheesy
N/A

XP System Restore

There is a third method to disable turn off system restore by
creating a customised management console.
Have a look in Administrative tools, to see if there is anyhting
present there. Although the clue is that it removes the option
to turn off system restore rather than greying out, so
your probably right regarding re-format.

Method:
1. Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.
2. In Microsoft Management Console (MMC), on the Console menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
3. On the Standalone tab, click Add, click Group Policy under Available Standalone Snap-ins, and then click Add.
4. Accept the default of Local Computer in the Group Policy Object box, and then click Finish.
5. Close the Add Standalone Snap-in dialog box, and then click OK on the Add/Remove Snap-in dialog box.
6. Under Console Root, expand Local Computer Policy, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, and then click System Restore.
7. Double-click Turn off System Restore, and then on the Setting tab, select Enable.
8. Double-click Turn off Configuration, and then on the Setting tab, select Enable.
9. Click Apply, and then click OK.
10. On the Console menu, click Save as, type the name of the new console, and accept the Administrative Tools folder as the default location in which to save this file.

To access the new console, click Start, click More Programs, and then click Administrative Tools.

If users try to access System Restore Configuration, the System Properties dialog box is present, but the System Restore tab is not present.