cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Professional wont shutdown

N/A

Since I connected my pc up to adsl via a Netgear DG814 modem router Windows XP will not shutdown fully.

I get logged out and my settings saved, then the "Windows is shutting down" message appears and stays there I end up having to switch the power off.

I have run windows update to get everything up to the latest versions.

Anyone got any ideas :?:
7 REPLIES
N/A

Maybe check the manufacturers website of your modem for updated drivers.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the BIOS - it needed updated. So check your motherboards website for updates also.

Hope this helps,

let me know!

Dan
Community Veteran

It won't be the router. A router is a stand alone computer in it's own right.
It might be a problem with your network card, or any other software / devices you have installed or uninstalled on your machine.

Chris
N/A

It is normaly the fact that you are connected to the net and it is trying to complete some task before it shuts down. As you shutdown check with taskman and see whats running.
It may be some update program, spyware,av.

The other thing that will do it is if you have you net card set to bring the pc out of sleep mode or wake up on lan. It does shutdown but because something is going on it brings it back up again try changing the setting for your card.
N/A

Okies

Create a new text document

in the document type

@echo off
shutdown -s -t 00 -f

save it as something along the lines of
shutdown

but you must add .bat on the end

so in other words save it as
shutdown.bat

you'll get a little icon in the location you saved it to. Delete the text document but keep the batch file

when you want to shutdown click on the batch file.

I shall explain

-s means sutdown
-t 00 means wait 0 seconds before shutting down
-f forces applications running to close.

If you want to set a longer delay on how long it takes before shutdown is initiated right click on the batch file and click edit

change the zeros in the "-t 00" part to any number such as
-t 30 for example
this will make it take 30 seconds

then save the file again

this should be quite effective

Karl
holdtight
Grafter

You could also try installing microsofts User Profile Hive Cleanup which runs as one of your services and closes all apps and processes before logging off or shutting down windows properly

I have it installed and it does speed up not just the log off process but also the shutdown time on my system by quite a considerable amount

Could be worth a try, heres the blurb from MS

The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. This can result in problems when using Roaming User Profiles in a server environment or when using locked profiles as implemented through the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP
holdtight
Grafter

You could also try installing microsofts User Profile Hive Cleanup which runs as one of your services and closes all apps and processes before logging off or shutting down windows properly

I have it installed and it does speed up not just the log off process but also the shutdown time on my system by quite a considerable amount

Could be worth a try, heres the blurb from MS

The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. This can result in problems when using Roaming User Profiles in a server environment or when using locked profiles as implemented through the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP
kreynolds
Grafter

@holdtight

Thanks for that useful link. My system has not shutdown properly since upgrading to 64 bit.