cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Pro and XP Home - incompatible?

N/A

I've just been reading through Colson's post "Cannot connect to router or ping from xp pro" but didn't want to hijack the thread although there are definite similarities to the problem I'm trying to sort out for someone at the moment.

Two laptops one with XPPro and one with XPHome that need to be connected to transfer some files.

Both -
- are connected by ethernet to a Belkin router.
- have dhcp enabled and pick up ip's in the correct range.
- have "MS File and Printer Sharing" enabled.
- are in the same workgroup.
- can ping the router.
- can see both computers in "View Workgroup Computers"
- cannot connect to the other by clicking it and get a "Cannot connect to etc etc"

XPPro -
- can ping the XPHome

XPHome -
- cannot ping the XPPro

Have I missed something obvious? (apart from a software firewall which I haven't yet checked for and hadn't thought about until I just read the other thread)
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

They should be fully compatable.

Firewalls can certainly cause issues. What I would recommend is uninstall the firewall to make sure it does not leave any fingers behind. Some firewalls, even if you disable them can still effect connections.

Also make sure the Windows 'firewall' is also disabled.

One thing I sometimes have to enable is NETBIOS. It is normall off by default but it can sometimes solve issues when straight TCP conections fail. To enable it, right click on your network device and select properies. Select TCP/IP then click properties. Click advanced button then click WINS tab. Then enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP and see if that helps.
N/A

Certainly sounds like a firewall problem.
N/A

eeek some one wants u to enable netbios :S./.. such a bad thing to do :p

make sure ur subnets and domains are the same and make sure "use simple file sharing" is OFF.. also the ms firewall sucks :p
Community Veteran

As long as it's your own network and you have a decent and properly configured hardware firewall there are no issues with using NETBIOS if it solves the problem.
zpeterk
Grafter

Also the same username and password need to be installed on both machines, as well as the above