cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Home & domains

N/A

XP Home & domains

I know that a XPhome machine cannot join a domain, but has anybody succeded in sharing files between XP Proff boxes & a W2k server that belong to a domain & an XPhome machine. Maybe something along the lines of machine accounts?
Problem is we have a small domain at work with the above XP proff machines & a w2kserver, now my boss who is pretty computer illiterate decided he`d like a laptop, so just went out & bought one. Guess what OS!!!!!
Now he`d like to be able to share files so he can take his shiny new machine home & work!
6 REPLIES
Cloudmaster
Grafter

XP Home & domains

I had exactly the same scenario a few years back, we ended up buying an XP Pro upgrade for the laptop
Community Veteran

XP Home & domains

Upgrade it to XP Pro, you can get an upgrade cheap enough. Other than that there are some work arounds, but the point of having a domain controller is making your network secure and if your going to allow the machine through you might as well not run any domain control at all.

Chris
Damfoose
Grafter

XP Home & domains

This is not a perfect solution but you can still map network drives using XP-Home even though you are unable to join a Domain with it.

I have at home a 2003 server and a comp joined to it's domain the rest of my comps just map network drives when the family logs on to their computers

Simply set the comp to get an IP addy via dhcp , wright a batch file for the mapings eg say for a Home drive H

@echo off

net use H: /d
net use H: \\server name\directory name

the slash d deleats the maping before re-maping as this saves any errors that wil confuse the od bugger and ensures you get a connection you can also place folders in his my docks folder with shortcuts to the maped drives so he does not have to go looking any where else for them easy. you can always script it but why make it difficult for yourself.

creat a batch file save it somewhere in the windows directory ( he wont deleat it from their ) then put a shortcut to it in his start up menu job done. saves on the upgrade. mind you he should have got a decent laptop in the first place or it could have been real awkward he could have got one preinstalled with LINUX. :twisted:
N/A

XP Home & domains

This is not a perfect solution but you can still map network drives using XP-Home even though you are unable to join a Domain with it.

I have at home a 2003 server and a comp joined to it's domain the rest of my comps just map network drives when the family logs on to their computers

What permissions/security are you allowing on the mapped folders?
There are certain things that we dont want "everyone" to access.
Damfoose
Grafter

XP Home & domains

What permissions/security are you allowing on the mapped folders?
There are certain things that we dont want "everyone" to access.

You can use the standard login permissions .

EG... user 1 has access to \\server01\share1 where user 2 does not

so just ensure that when your boss changes his laptop password it is changed on the domain to the same password as NT will check .

I have at home plenty of things that I dont want my boy to have access to but I want him to have access to my MP3's so he has access to that but gets an access denied to anything else. Personally The directories that the family have access to are full read write access. Seeing as we all use a password to log into our accounts it saves me a headache ( it was one of the small things that I was adiment on ) It will serve the boy well later in life knowing that to use a PC he will have to login properly.

If your stuck or want some help drop me a private note if this system has the facilities to be able to do that. I am more than happy to help it is my job after all.
N/A

the best thing to do is

create an (local) account for the other user on the machine you are connecting to, then set permissions for this user

Then when the user logs in he will simply type in the user name and password you just created, note you can make it the same as his other machine