Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Hanging at boot

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

XP Hanging at boot

I have a system I have just repaired, that takes ages at the XP screen with the blue rolling squares. This screen stays up for almost a min, and then it takes XP around another 30-45sendings to get to anywhere useable. This is a fresh install of XP pro, and initially everything was fine with normal resonably rapid boots. The install of XP had one minor problem, juring the time XP was transferring files to the install folders, 1 file could not be transferred (??why not sure), and if I continued setup may fail. Setup completed OK. The only other issue was I loaded the wrong drivers for the internal wireless card, but I then uninstalled them, and installed the correct ones, and wireless works OK. The system is a celeron 2.5Ghz, with 384Mb RAM (64meg for video) giving a total of 320Mb. This is via 1 256 and 1 128 mb sticks, both PC2100. I would welcome any advice as to why XP had suddenly started to take ages to boot.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

XP Hanging at boot

If you can get it to work Bootvis may help (I haven't been able to get it to work properly since SP2)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

XP Hanging at boot

If it's any consolation I'm suffering this same problem on my main machine (all my other 3 are ok).

I've narrowed it down to the main hard drive being on it's last legs as I found there is a CRC error rate which means that data isn't being read/written as quickly as normal.

I've not had chance to try reformat (though I doubt it would work because I'm sure the drive is on its last legs). Also my sound becomes distorted and the processor speed shoots upto 1.9GHz (from 1.Cool.

Download a program called speedfan (google it) and use it's facility to do a HD check online.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
holdtight
Grafter

XP Hanging at boot

Yes a dodgy hard drive is the most likely culprit here and i see these symptoms quite a lot especially when reinstalling or upgrading a slightly older pc

A reformat rarely works once in this state and chkdsk /r from the recovery console might fix it if its not too bad but is at best only temporary once a hard drive starts failing

Sorry Sad
N/A

XP Hanging at boot

Have you checked the event log to see if there is any problem showing up.
You could also try pressing F8 on boot up and logging startup as that may show some problems.

If its the HD look on the makers website as they often give away free utils which will test the drive and would tell you if its faulty and may even fix it